Saturday, August 28, 2010

Andrew Young and Others Are Saving My Sanity

I saw an interview with Andrew Young, civil rights leader, former mayor and ambassador, on CNN today.  They were asking him his opinion on the Beck/Sharpton rallies.  He said he wishes the two rallies could get together.  He then spoke about what may be the REAL reasons for the economic recession, and the fact that we can't really blame either republicans OR democrats, and that the rallies show us that there are a lot of frustrated people looking for someone to blame, and there isn't anyone to blame. He reminded us that Dr. King asked people not to lay blame and point fingers, as that doesn't get us anywhere.

Yesterday I had a job interview for a program that teaches theater to kids with special needs.  It was a GREAT interview, an AMAZING program, and I REALLY hope I get the job!  It was heartening to speak to the young woman who runs it, and her love for the kids.  It was a reminder that not everything is going to hell, and that people still care.
Later that day I had another interview, this time for a Pilates teaching position in Palo Alto, just off University Ave., the main drag near Stanford.  It's a great area and I'd LOVE to teach there.  I'll go in  for a teaching audition at some point.  (And the fells who interviewed me reminded me SO MUCH of my brother, circa 1989. It was kinda freaky!)
If I do get the teaching position, I'll have to postpone my intensive Pilates training.  Which is fine with me.  I can do that another time.  I raellyreallyreallyreallyREALLY want this job!  Have I mentioned that? During the interview I felt myself sort of, I don't know, waking up, I guess.  Remembering how much I enjoy teaching and working with kids, and feeling like I'm helping them to discover themselves.
Afterwards I went to pick up my son from school.  His (awesome) teacher told me that he's going to be mainstreamed for 4 hours a week!  2 days in art class and 2 days in P.E., with the "typical" 4th graders! And she even insisted that he stay in the art class yesterday, when the aid brought him back for being disruptive.
I honestly don't know what we'd do without this teacher!
And my daughter's teacher managed to get the snaggletooth out!!!! She wouldn't let US touch it, but her teacher very gently got it out.  Which is great, since the permanent tooth is already coming out, lol!

It's funny; as the summer went along and I was losing clients and classes, I kept telling myself it was happening for a reason.  There were moments when that was VERY hard to believe, and made for a lot of sleepless nights.  But now, MAYBE, I'm glimpsing the light at the end of the tunnel.  Rediscovering the things that make me happy.  I still enjoy teaching my (one) class at my original gym (and I'll be working with a private client there starting next month), but there are other opportunities out there, as well.

Finally, I have been in touch with a friend from high school via Facebook.  He and I are on totally opposite ends of the political spectrum. Basically, when it comes to politics, we can't agree on the color of an orange.  But we send messages back and forth, and it puts a human face on the opposing point of view.  So instead of seeing the other side as demons, we see each other as human beings.  Human beings who have known each other since kindergarten.  Kinda hard to demonize someone when you remember them running around the schoolyard playing tag and laughing. Oh, and wearing the gawd-awful 70's clothing that our parents put us in.
Ugh! 

So I'm making another pledge to myself to stop the hate.  To NOT get got up in the blaming, finger-pointing, I'm-right-and-you're-wrong-I'm-better-than-you-nyah-nyah stuff that seems to be so rampant these days. Because it's SO EASY for me to get caught up in it, and I REALLY have to watch myself!

No comments: