Thursday, April 9, 2009

Am I Overtraining?

Charlotte wrote a blog today that got me thinking (after reading Jillian Michaels' new book, which got HER thinking. So now I want to read that book!).
I generally work out 6 days a week. For at least an hour, sometimes more. This morning I did Jillian's "30 Day Shred" which, with warmup and cooldown, is only about 28 minutes. And it was enough, lol!
So I was thinking about how much I enjoy that DVD, and how I've been really into interval workouts lately, and that, maybe, if I just focused on that DVD, Bikram yoga, and my Pilates classes, I might be OK. But then I realized that, with the schedule I had in mind, I'd still be working out 8 hours a week. Hard.
And I read Charlotte's blog, in which she mentions overtraining, and how it can mess with your hormones. And, really, my hormones don't need any more messing with!!!!!
So now I'm wondering this; if I do Bikram 2x a week (instead of 3), Pilates 2x a week (as usual), and 30 Day Shred 2x a week (instead of 3), I'll still be doing 6 hours a week, but maybe it's more managable. And a nice mix of cardio, strength training, and yoga. And only exercise that I enjoy. And I don't have to stick with the schedule; if I feel like going for a walk or doing some cardio kickboxing, I'll do that. but I won't ADD it on!!!!
And now I'm wondering if I'm overthinking all this.
AAAAUUUUUUUGHGHGH!!!!!!!!
OK, now my battery is going kaput, so I'll wrap up.
I don't know what I'm doing.
I know what I like. But I keep putting on weight, so what I'm doing isn't working.
I need help!!!!!

2 comments:

Charlotte said...

I think your new plan sounds good! The overtraining/hormone thing is so tricky. I honestly don't know what's going on with my body so I can totally understand your feelings! It's so frustrating to be doing everything "right" and still not be getting results. Let me know what you figure out!

azusmom said...

I'll let you know, if I ever figure it out, lol!

(Congrats again on the li'l jellybean!!!!!!!!)