Sunday, July 6, 2008

Journey's journey (And More "Dr. Who." 'Cause I'm Obsessed.)

OK, tokaiangel, this is for you! And anyone else who likes the band Journey.
You may know that they've been through a number of lead singers since Steve Perry left (including a brief period in the 90's when Steve Perry came back, then left again). So, they were sans a singer AGAIN, but still working on new material. One night, Neal Schon, who is a founding member and lead guitarist, was looking at (listening to?) singers on YouTube. He came across a band from the Philippines called "The Zoo." The band did a lot of Journey songs, and the lead singer, Arnel Pineda, sounded almost EXACTLY like Steve Perry! So Schon called the rest of the band, and their managers, and flew Pineda and a few other guys out to audition. Pineda ended up recording in the studio with the band for 3 days, and they asked him to be their new singer.
So, the band has a new 3-disc CD/DVD of new material, re-recorded hits, and concert footage. (When I first heard their new song on the radio I thought "Wait! Is Steve Perry back with the band?!") They're sounding like classic, 80's Journey, and it's awesome! You can check them out on YouTube.

And speaking of YouTube, I went on yesterday to watch the season finale of "Dr. Who," which won't be shown here until early August. I know, I know, it's not THAT long to wait, but, as I mention in the title, I'm obsessed with the show. Have been ever since I was a kid. And it's so smart, and so good, and so well written and acted, and they brought back so many characters for the finale,I just couldn't wait!

But it was SO F***ing SAD!!!!!!!!! If anyone here watches it, I don't want to spoil it for you. But let me just say, I really wish I could jet over to London this summer and see David Tennant (who plays The Doctor) play Hamlet and Berowne (in "Loves' Labours Lost") at the Royal Shakespeare Company, because he is flippin' BRILLIANT!!!!! (And Patrick Stewart is playing Claudius in "Hamlet." How cool is that?)
And I will totally be watching it again in August, and I'll probably cry again. See, this is what parenthood does to you! Turns you into a snivelling mess!
'Cause I also cried my eyes out watching that 9 year-old Autistic boy sing on "America's Got Talent."
And I cry at "Rescue Vets" on Animal Planet.
Oy.

3 comments:

Charlotte said...

I'm not much of a Journey fan but the hubby sure is! He'll be ecstatic with this news:)

Penny said...

Argh thankyou so much for this! That's amazing! I'm so annoyed that I didn't go to see them play at a stately home near where I live now (I shunned them due to lack of Steve Perry). I could actually kick myself!

This is a very good reason for me to post videos of myself on youtube having a sing to my favourite bands.... I can do a MEAN Bonn Scott....

TA x

azusmom said...

LOL!!! Go for it! Can't wait to see you on tour!!!!!