Friday, June 13, 2008

Why "Days of our Lives" Rocks

Ok, I admit, I don't really watch it that much. But when I first moved to L.A., I did quite a bit of work as an extra on the show. An extra is a person in the background. We don't have any lines or dialogue, but most scenes would look pretty odd if there were no other people around. And yes, ALL the people you see on screen who are milling around behind the main actors are paid extras.

Being an extra is a good way to get experience working on-set, and it also pays pretty well (especially if you are in the union). BUT, the quality of the experience depends on the production. I did A LOT of extra work, and my experience was that the bigger the budget, the worse the extras were treated.

Soap operas aren't exactly low-budget, but they don't have as much money as a major Hollywood blockbuster wannabe. (To give you an idea, the average screenplay is 90 pages long, and it takes 3-6 months to film. Soaps film 60-90 pages PER DAY, 5 days a week!) The scene I was first involved in was a wedding, taking place in "Italy" (which looks a lot like the backlot of the NBC studios in Burbank), and it was July. We were outside, filming at night, and it was HOT!!! So the crew kept giving us breaks, to go inside where it was air-conditioned, and they kept feeding us! Then, at 4 AM, the actress playing the bride, who was VERY pregnant at the time, went into false labor, and we had to wrap. We came back a couple days later and finished the shot, and the actor playing "the bad guy" made sure we all had chairs to sit in, inside, where it was cool. TOTALLY not his job, but he did it anyway.

I worked a few more days on the show, and everyone was always so nice. Peter Reckell, was especially great. He'd hang out and chat with us, and even gave some (low-key) advice to a young actor who had a couple of lines, so that the young fella would have more face-time on camera.

But the REAL reason they rock? The head writer has 4 kids, one of whom has Autism. (He, the child, is now 19 and just graduated high school.) She has instituted a new storyline, in which one couple's 3 year-old son is diagnosed with Autism. She says she really wants to show the reality of it; how it affects the entire family (and friends), the struggle, and the hope, and all little victories.

I think that's pretty cool.

12 comments:

Charlotte said...

Your life! You have the best stories.

My roomies and I were completely addicted to DOL for a couple of years - even to the point where we'd schedule our classes around it. I wonder if I ever saw you! Can I have your autograph? ;)

azusmom said...

Sure, but it's not worth much,lol!

(The episodes were when Bo and Billie had to get married, even though he was back with Hope.)

Crabby McSlacker said...

That's so cool that you were an extra! I have to confess I'm a bit jealous.

azusmom said...

Thanks! Although it's not nearly as glamorous as it sounds,lol! It's mostly a lot of standing around and waiting.
I do remember all the women sitting in our dressing room, telling stories and laughing. The guys kept coming over to see what was going on. I think they were jealous.

And I got a teaching/performing job out of it! One of the extras worked with a theater company and recruited me. I ended up working with them for a couple of years, and my husband worked with them, as well. All in all, it was a pretty good night,lol!

Anonymous said...

i like that he's working his own life experienes into the script. Especially such a vital cause.

On a totally frivolous note, what the heck is up with that soap opera Passions?

azusmom said...

"Passions" was moved to Direct TV, then canceled. Ah well.

Anonymous said...

say your comment at charlottes site and had to drop by.

POWERFUL and thanks for sharing it.

M.

azusmom said...

Thanks for dropping by, MizFit! LOVE your blog (and I'm one of the Team MizFits in the Womens' Challenge!)

Ice Cream said...

Now, if they could do more of that in soaps (and let people stay married every now and then) I might consider taking up that old addiction again. =)

I believe my son is on the autism spectrum and am becoming very intereseted in the topic.

azusmom said...

Seriously! And maybe if they could stop with the spouse-swapping, at least for a while. Or the 65 year-olds marrying their daughter's 20-something best friend (ICK!), or getting together with the sibling of their ex... the list goes on and on!

How is your son doing? How are YOU doing? Have you had him assessed? If you live in California, I can give you some resources.

Liane Gentry Skye said...

Now that really is cool. I don't know how I stumbled here, LOL, but I'm glad I did. I'm a mom of three with ASD's, and I'm thrilled Days is doing their part to increase awareness.

azusmom said...

Welcome Liane! Glad you found us! Hopefully the DOOL storyline will create more awareness (and compassion) for ASD.