Monday, June 23, 2008

Raw Food, Whole Foods (Market), and Wal-Mart

Raw food. When it's prepared well, it's SOOOOO GOOD!!!! Equinox has a raw/vegan cafe, and very nice people who work there. Living in the Bay Area, it's easy to find great vegetarian/vegan/raw food (I often wonder if I could be a vegetarian if I lived in the south, surrounded by BBQ, catfish, biscuits and gravy...) I have some cookbooks (or un-cookbooks), but I'm finding some of it to be quite expensive and time consuming. I suppose it may partly be because I'm relatively new to it, but also because my family is not as into it as I am. (Preparing one meal for me, and something else for them=not fun.) Also, taking care of 2 kids with autism and working part-time doesn't leave me with a whole lot of spare time. (Listen! Do you here violins? They're playing just for me!) I know some of you out there are vegetarian (*cough* Charlotte!!! *cough*) and may have some ideas? Possibly?
OK, complaining is over. Because yesterday, we found PARADISE! Los Altos, near Silicon Valley, has a HUGE Whole Foods with multiple food bars, and a mall with a Wal-Mart, Target, Trader Joe's and an Iyengar yoga studio! How cool is that?!
We picked up the new Journey CD/DVD last night at Wal Mart. Have you heard the story of how they found their new lead singer, from the Philippines? I'll have to blog about that later, 'cause it's an amazing story. Right now I have to take my son swimming.
Have a wonderful day!

7 comments:

Charlotte said...

Alyssa! I didn't know you were going veg! I'm not vegan anymore and I have never been a raw foodist (or "natural") so I can't help you out there. But as for the cooking separate meal issue, I make my family eat vegetarian several nights a week. And on the other meals I cook my veg meal and then just cook/grill some chicken or beef or whatever for them. They eat my veg dish as a side dish and I eat it as my meal. Good luck girl! I'm so jealous of your Cali strip mall! It is SO HARD being veg here.

WeightingGame said...

A Whole Foods near a mall with a Wal-Mart, Target, Trader Joe's and an Iyengar yoga studio sounds like an amazing Bermuda Triangle I would love to getlost in and never be found. Well, at least for a month or two ;-)

azusmom said...

Yeah, I'm making the transition. I did it many years ago, but I was living in New England then, and it was a lot harder,lol!
Thank you for your ideas! They're great, and I'm smacking my forehead wondering why I didn't think of them.
It is pretty great living here and having access to all the fresh food. But that just means you're more dedicated than I am!

Anonymous said...

I so admire you.
although friends who do the raw food thing always tell me that theyre not giving up ANY TASTE it's all how *I* would do the raw food stuff (lazy and fast).

I shall read and live vicariously.

Miz.

Crabby McSlacker said...

Sigh. Having just moved from the bay area to a small new england town, (at least for half the year) one thing I'm really missing is the grocery options. We used to be able to shop at Berkeley Bowl and all sorts of other great stores... even the local markets were stuffed with healthy produce and whole grains.

Now we've got a run-of-the-mill grocery store and have to drive an hour to get much that's organic. (We planted a garden, but darn it, the stuff takes a while to grow!)

azusmom said...

Yeah, and I guess the nearest Whole Foods is a bit of a schlep. Will you guys be living here during the colder months? (I grew up near Boston. I hate winter!)

Penny said...

Oh my god I LOVE Journey - please tell the story about how they found their new singer! As if Journey stopped me lurking... bah!

TA x