Sunday, June 8, 2008

Taking the Plunge...Literally

Well, today I'm gonna do it. Don the dreaded bathing suit and get into the pool. It's finally warm enough that we can take the kids swimming. So, I'll liberally slather on the sunscreen and go.
My husband has pretty dark skin, and is allergic to sunscreen, and is always in amazing shape. (Even though I work out 3 times as much as he does! SO unfair,lol!) so he looks forward to this season. And so do I, for the most part. I just hate the wearing-the-bathing-suit part. And exposing my poor, pasty skin to the sun for the first time in almost a year. You laugh, but many have been temporarily blinded by the sight.
Last summer, in Hawaii, I bought board shorts and a rash guard to swim in, after forgetting to put sunscreen on my back and going snorkeling I looked like a candy cane. And, oh yeah, IT HURT!!!!! But one of the advantages to wearing such swim gear is that it's NOT a bathing suit! See, I may have come a long way with my body image issues, but not THAT far!
I still dread The Swimsuit.
And I'm not sure how to get over that.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm sure you look wonderful (Hotty McHotalot!) but totaly understand the dread of The Suit. I bought a super-cute little black miniskirt from J.Crew a while a go - made of bathing suit - nad with that puppy on, I can walk around the pool on vaycay with nary a worry. Old Navy has a lot of cute ones too. I think the key is to remember that everyone else is probably so obsesed w/how they look that they're not even paying attention to you/me :-) Happy swimming! It's 90 and rainy/humid in Chitown...

Charlotte said...

I definitely feel your pain with the pale skin Alyssa. I've given up and just started telling people I'm a vampire. I can also relate about the bathing suit. It may be different where you are at but here in the midwest, I always find that I was worried for nothing and that there are lots of women with a "mummy tummy" surrounded by a pack of kids! So I fit right in. I hope you enjoy your time!

Anonymous said...

and? did you quickly realize it was NOT as bad as you had imagined in your head?
I also hear you on the hubby thing.
I watched mine eat a pint of ben & jerrys last night and just watching made it all go to my thighs.

men.

and leslie nailed it.
the worst part is that it is all in your (ok my ) head ----that no one is looking at the mama with the shrieking toddler (unless to notice aforementioned shrieking).

M.

azusmom said...

That's so true! I got to the pool and there were other women, older than me and with their kids, as well, wearing bikinis. I thought that was pretty cool!

Now, I'm off to check out the J. Crew website.

Ice Cream said...

I have the pasty whitness too. On my honeymoon I got so sunburned that I couldn't take my nighty off (after taking a slow and painful 5 minutes to put it on). It was too funny (and owee!) =)

azusmom said...

You poor thing!!!!
(No, I'm not laughing! Really! It's a cough!)