Friday, December 2, 2011

Signs?

This morning I was a grump.  A whiner.  Annoyed. PMS-ing. Tired. Grouchy.
Oscar had NUTHIN' on me!
I was in Peet's Coffee waiting for my soy latte, and I saw a woman with her little boy.  And for a moment I missed having my kids at home, their being that young.
And then I got over it.
After all, there I was at the coffee place by myself, able to go to work, run errands, etc. without carting around 14 tons of Toddler Stuff.
But still, looking at that little guy...
I saw them again later, but this time the woman's dad was with her.  And because my emotions are so close to the surface this time of month, I started crying, thinking about my dad taking my son to the zoo when LG was a REALLY li'l guy.  About 10 minutes later, the song "Isn't She Lovely" came on the radio.  The one Stevie Wonder wrote for his newborn daughter. It was one of my favorite songs as a kid, and I still love it.  And I got the feeling it was a message from my dad.  Just telling me that everything's OK and he's still around, even if we can't see him.  And that he has a front seat to the kids' lives.

Then I went to my appointment at the weight loss center, and my coach was telling me some things I needed to hear.  Not "You need to cut down your carbs and walk more," but "You, like all of us, are perfect just as you are.  You don't need to try to get it 'right' or worry about what anyone else thinks.  Take care of yourself, and try to give yourself a break.  Enjoy your food.  Don't worry about calories, just think about how, every time you eat, you're nourishing yourself."

Pretty damn cool.

So I'm feeling less grumpy.  Enough to enjoy the warm weather (warm enough for a tank top!) and the foliage.  Enough to maybe take the kids to the pool, which is still open thanks to the warmth.

OK.  I'm gonna workout and get ready for the kids' return.  Have a GREAT weekend, everyone!

No comments: