Monday, May 23, 2011

Still Here?

OK, yes, it's easy to make fun of the Rapture true believers, but it's actually pretty worrying to think about the ones who quit their jobs, left their families, and gave away all their money in anticipation of it.  It's also hard to know whether this Camping guy is a scam artist or just off his rocker.

(I do have to say that the line I enjoyed best about all this is "The Rapture has been delayed more times than the opening of the "Spiderman" musical.)

Aside from the Armageddon that wasn't, we also just had the (seemingly endless) farewell of Mary Hart, entertainment correspondent extraordinaire.   Yes, she's retiring after 29 years on the same show, but they're kinda acting like she's dying!  It's just creepy!
We're also in the midst of the "Oprah" farewell.  Also endless.
I've been doing my best to ignore it all. but it's not easy.  They keep talking about it on the radio, fer cryin' out loud!  Thank goodness for my Kindle: I can just read and ignore all the other crap.

Alright, enough of that.  I know what you want to read about; our epic night at the Theatre!!!!!  Well, it was DEFINITELY epic.  We dropped WG off, at which time LG started to cry and asking to go home.  SO we headed out to the freeway.
I don't know if I've mentioned this, but in the car we have a GPS system with Dissociative Identity Disorder.  Granted, the car IS 10 years old, and we haven't been able to replace the original CD-Rom, so many times it doesn't recognize the addresses we put in.   But even when it DOES, it's just...weird.  Not all the time.  Often it's straightforward and fine.  But other times, like on Friday, it will insist I take a certain route even when I know a different route makes more sense.  Then, if I follow its route, it recalcuates every time I do EXACTLY WHAT IT TELLS ME TO DO.  It will often, quite literally, send me around in circles.  And because I don't really know my way around the city, I had no choice but to follow its directions.
Seriously, it was like being guided by HAL, the computer from "2001!"  (Or the ATMOS.)  I'm just lucky it didn't eject me from the minivan, lol!
We finally arrived at Golden Gate Park (after 90 minutes!), and I found a parking space.  LG asked for "Aquarium" and "Sky movie," which is what he calls the planetarium show at the Academy of Sciences.  it's pretty amazing, since we haven't been there in a year and a half.
So we got out and started walking.  After about 10 minutes, I gave up and brought us both back to the car, needing desperately to find a space closer to the museum, as we'd be walking back after dark.  We finally found one that was closer (though not much, lol) and went in to the DeYoung.
Where there were hundreds of people, as it was it's annual "Young at Art" festival, in which students from schools all over the city perform and show off art projects.  Hubby's show was part of this: in fact, it's gotten so popular that the museum has audience members come in through a different entrance, because in past years people would decide at the last minute to go see the play rather than listen to the keynote speakers at the festival. (Not that I blame them!) (I also found out that, that same night, Davies Symphony Hall was hosting the semi-finals of the national students' poetry jam.  It was a great night for students in the arts in the city!)
So where was I?  Ah yes, the throngs of people who showed up for the festival.  It was great to see, and very exciting, but was is it about people in crowds who stop the chat in the ONLY CLEAR SPOTS IN THE ROOM, EFFECTIVELY BLOCKING EVERYONE FROM BEING ABLE TO MOVE?!?!?!?!  Normally it's not all THAT big a deal, but after the drive and parking and the headaches, I was a bit peeved.

Anyway, after a snack, we made our way to the theater and stood in line to retrieve out tickets, where we ran into some friends (very nice surprise!).
When we went in, LG spotted the drums (there was a live band for the music) and immediately made a beeline for them, which, luckily, I was able to head off at the pass.
Finally the show started.  LG was not into it at first (and was pretty tired), and said "time to go home."  But as soon as his dad appeared on stage, he perked right up.  He kept looking at me, pointing to the stage and saying "Look, there's Daddy!"  He clapped when everyone else clapped, and joined the standing ovation at the end.  He was SO GOOD!!!!!  And it was a 90-minute show!

Meanwhile, Her Majesty WG was ruling the roost at the in-laws' place.  She was sound asleep when we got there, but woke up easily when it was time to go home.  All in all, it was a highly successful outing, and I'm a very proud Mama!!!!!!

And now, I need a nap.

No comments: