Wednesday, April 13, 2011

The Old Gray Mare, She Ain't What She Used to Be

And by "The old gray mare" I mean, of course, me.
Just a measly 5 years ago I had all this energy!  I would get LG off to preschool, get WG changed and fed, do a workout, take a shower, bundle WG into her car seat so I could get coffee and have my once-daily conversation with another grown-up (the barista), and the conversation would generally go as follows: B- "Good morning, what can I get for you?" Me- "Morning!  Can I have a [insert coffee here]?"  B- "Sure!  How old is your daughter?" M- [insert age here.]"  B- "OK, here ya go.  Have a nice day!"  M- "You too, thanks!"  And...Scene.
Then we'd go home, get LG off the bus, have lunch, and watch "Sesame Street."  Later, I'd put both kids in the car and we'd drive to either the mall (if it was raining), the public garden (on nice days) or, if I was still tired and desperate for caffeine, we'd go to the San Fernando Valley, to Aroma Cafe, where I'd put them in their double stroller and walk them around the neighborhood while I drank my second caffeine infusion of the day.  After an hour or so we'd go home, I'd make dinner, give them their baths, and we'd all collapse into our various beds.  I'd wake up a few times to feed WG, then we'd get up the next day and do it all over again.

So I had all these GREAT plans for WG's spring break.  And on Monday it went as planned.  Then yesterday, WG was a bit fussy and I was tired.  We went for a drive, but when I took her out of the car to go for a walk (after getting myself more coffee), she didn't want to go.  So we just went to pick up LG from school.  Who, it turns out, was not doing his work or listening to his teachers as much as he usually does.  Which meant he couldn't use the iPod, computer, or TV for the rest of the day.  Which made him a bit calmer, so there ya go.
Today WG was cranky and Mommy was tired, so we mostly hung out at the house.  I had to teach tonight, so I wanted to save a little energy.
Because I just can't do it anymore.
Granted, 5 years ago I was still in my 30's and not working outside the home.  But I must say that there are a number of years, when the kids were younger, that are a blur.  I remember day after day of pushing the kids in their double stroller and doing mountains of laundry, fueled by mochas and very little sleep.
But I made it through, even when Hubby was out of town on tour for months at a time.
I don't think I could do it these days though.  I woke up Tuesday morning and was SO tired and sore! And I feel guilty because there are 2 official days left of her vacation, and LG's break starts next week, and I might not have the energy to get through it!

HEEEELP MEEEEEE!!!!!!!

No comments: