Sunday, October 24, 2010

By George, I Think I Get It!

So let's see: I'm FINALLY getting the hang of normal/intuitive eating.  I feel happier and less stressed than I did even a few days ago.  The fitness/diet magazines no longer sing their siren song to me in the checkout line at the grocery store (although "People" magazine still holds me in its sway.  Curse you, short, gossipy articles that are easily read while my produce is being rung up!), and I can fit into my jeans once more.
Which is REALLY nice, as it's finally getting cooler and I like having warm clothes and REALLY didn't want to shell out more money for new pants!
But the jeans are just a part of it.  I feel a new acceptance not only of my (more roly-poly than it used to be) body, but of ME. And of others, as well.  Even people I vehemently disagree with, like, say, {gasp!} Sarah Palin! Because I can hate her politics without hating HER.  Because she's a human being, and a mom, and had to deal with the prospect of Levi Johnston as a future son-in-law!
And there's still a part of me that  fervently hopes we can get over this insanity and stop demonizing each other and just be Americans again, rather than left wing/right wing/tea party/green party/commies/bible freaks/Yankee fans/Red Sox fans, etc. etc.
(Although I must say I love The Rent is Too Damn High party!)

But I'm digressing, as usual.

See, by listening to my body, I believe I can prevent some issues from happening.  Or at least nip them in the bud.  It's the same thing I learned when I started doing Pilates. I started 'cause I wanted that perfect Pilates body I saw in magazines, but kept with it because it made me stronger than I'd ever been, improved my posture and breathing, and will, I'm convinced, stave off some injuries and effects of aging.
But listening to my body has benefits that go beyond the physical.  It makes me more confident, less self-conscious, and chills me out.  I don't get as defensive as I used to.  I'm not as scared as I used to be.  I realize I have a right to take up space and oxygen in this world, that I don't have to cower in a corner or make myself seem nicer than I am.
And if you and I have a disagreement?  That doesn't make one of us wrong and the other one right.  It just means we have different, equally valid opinions.  Unless you're just a hater.  Then I'm just gonna walk away.  'Cause I've had enough of that.

OK.  Now I'm gonna log off, 'cause my brother is in town and is on his way over as we speak!!!!

7 comments:

The Merry said...

Drat, I can't find anything to disagree with in this post! How can we have conflict, drama, excitement, without name calling and personal accusations? ;)

Seriously, I wish more people would try this approach. Especially during election time.

Geosomin said...

That is a fantastic way to look at things.
You've been sounding so positive lately. It's great :)

azusmom said...

Merry, me too!

Geo, Thanks! It feels really good, lol!

Charlotte said...

Oh yay! I'm so happy for you! And I agree - it's so fun to hear you so happy!

jimpurdy1943@yahoo.com said...

Great post! Listening to our bodies really is important.

Lanie said...

Amazing Post!

I'm so glad to have found you through the "I Trust My Body" blog. You rock!

I'm adding you to my blog roll.

azusmom said...

Thank you, Ladies!!!!!!