Monday, May 11, 2009

Taking It Easy

These past few days I've done something I haven't done in a really long time. Or rather, NOT done something. For the past 3 days I have NOT worked out. On Friday I taught a Pilates class, but I taught off of the reformer. On Saturday, I hung out with the kids and watched "Doctor Who."Yesterday we had our Mom's Day picnic in Crissy Field. I was going to go to yoga this morning, but I woke up feeling really tired and dehydrated, and I figured doing yoga for 90 minutes in 105 degree room wouldn't help. So I ran errands and took the dog for a walk. Tonight, I'll take the kids for a walk through our 'hood, then I'll lift heavy weights for a 1/2 hour.
See, last month I had all these great plans: I was getting a new Pilates class, I started Bikram yoga, and I started a new weightlifting program. I was going to combine all three, plus cardio, of course, and be the FITTEST and HEALTHIEST I've EVER been!
I was going to follow all the recommendations: Bikram AT LEAST twice a week, weights 3 times, a little cardio every day, and my 3 classes (plus whatever classes I subbed).
You can see what's coming...I'M FREAKIN' EXHAUSTED, lol!!!!!!!!!!
Will I EVER learn?!?!?! I did something similar in grad school. It didn't work then, either. That was quite a while ago.
Now, I have special needs kids and a job, and I'm STILL overdoing it! And it's backfiring. I sometimes wonder if part of the reason for my weight gain is that I'm not letting my body rest. But it's hard. I'm used to working out 1-2 OR MORE hours a day, 6 days a week! And it just seems so WRONG: if I'm execrising that much, should't I be SKINNY?!?!?! What's wrong with this picture?
So, I'm adding rest to the picture. I've cut down to 2 days of weight training, easing up on the cardio, going to yoga 1 or 2 times at most, and teaching more off of the pilates reformer. I'm also going to walk more, but it will be moderate. I miss walking. The good thing is, the days are longer and I can go outside and walk with the kids. It's fun, and we all get some fresh air and (light) exercise. Plus, a walk after dinner helps the digestion, dontcha know?
I know some of you out there can relate to this. It's a struggle. It seems like I go from one disordered practice to another. From ED to overexercising to spending too much at the grocery store, what have you.
But I'm working on it.
I just wish it didn't take so damn long. I'm almost 40, dang it! I've been dealing with this for more than 20 years!!!!! Enough already!!!!
OK, I gotta go chill.
Maybe i'll lie down for a bit.

1 comment:

Charlotte said...

I relate to every word you wrote, sister. Every word. :)