Wednesday, May 20, 2009

More PMS-Induced Ranting

Anna Wintour has a special place in Hell waiting for her. She told Oprah that she had to lose 20 pounds before she'd be able to "grace" the cover of "Vogue." Her (Anna's) daughter appears to be wasting away. She loves photoshopping because "it helps people look their best." And she has made millions of women feel badly about their bodies. Never mind what she does to her own employees!!!! (Read or see"The Devil Wears Prada" for more on that.)
I believe that what goes around comes around. Ms. Wintour will get hers.

Lately we're seeing all the ads, on film and in print, about "swimsuit season" (formerly known as "summer") being right around the corner and are we ready? Who is going to win, you or the bathing suit? As Dr. Stacey ("Every Woman Has an Eating Disorder") posted so beautfully last year, a swimsuit is an inanimate object, so even is she WERE to fight it (which is hightly unlikely), SHE would win. 'Cause a bathing suit isn't gonna fight back. We see the lovely-at-any-size Ms. Valerie Bertinelli prancing around in a bikini and a (fugly) purple sorta- one-piece, talking about how she used to hide her body, but not anymore 'cause she's THIN!!!!!! We took the kids swimming the other day. I wore board shorts and a rash guard, along with SPF 70 sunscreen. Because my dad died from melanoma, and today is my parents' wedding anniversary. The first one without him. My mom's having a rough day, as you can imagine. So even if I had a "perfect bikini body" from eating nothing but yogurt and Special K (yuck!), I'd cover up. (My kids wore their rash guards, too.)

The winner of "The Biggest Loser" quit her job and works out 6 hours a day.
Yeah, that's practical.

I went to Bikram yoga yesterday and had to practice in one of the warmer sections of the room (in the middle, away from the doors). I survived. Barely.
Afterwards I went to vote in a special election. I voted "yes" for propositions that would have given more money to schools, firefighters, police, and special needs programs. Apparently I was not only one of the few who actually voted, but who voted yes. The measures failed. Miserably. And that just sucks.

Today is LG's IEP. He's already finished with his in-home therapy, so that's not an issue. I'm going to ask for indivdualized occupational therapy for him, though. (Right now he gets group OT, in school). And we'll find out where he'll be going to school next year. I'm REALLY hoping he stays in the same class. His teacher is AWESOME, and she loves him!
We know WG will stay in her classroom for at least another year, which is GREAT. They're going horseback riding next week!!!! They are challenging her, and they love her. She gets in-home therapy 3 days a week, OT twice a week, and we're getting an evaluation for speech therapy, as well. I just hope it doesn't all go down the toilet because of the budget crisis.

Yesterday, looking in the mirror at the yoga studio, I realized that what I hate most about my weight gain isn't so much my tummy (although, sadly, I'm not thrilled with that), but my boobs. They are, quite frankly, huge. And they're headed south. And they get in the way!!!!! I don't want to have to wear my Ennel corset bra every day! But I also, a few hours earlier, had given up on trying to lose weight. I vowed that from here on out I will focus on being ealthy, on getting stronger, and on improving my skills. I'd like to be able to do Balancing Stick, or a full Standing Bow pose, or regular pushups, or even ONE SINGLE &*%#@$-ING PULL-UP!!!!!!!
What I DON'T want to do is buy a whole new freakin' wardobe! I'd like to get back down to the size I was at when we moved here. I have a closet full of clothes that are a bit too small, and they are nice, and I'd like to wear them again. I'm not asking to be a size 6, just back to a 10/12. Which is where I've spent most of my adult life, anyway.

Sigh.

Guess I'm still hung up on the whole weight loss thing.

But it could be worse. I could be related to Anna Wintour.

3 comments:

Charlotte said...

That Anna Wintour interview sums up everything that is wrong with our thin-obsessed culture. I hope people read that and are able to see her for what she represents: absolutely nothing.

I love your rants:)

azusmom said...

Amen!
(And thanks for the love!!!)

Crabby McSlacker said...

I totally agree with you on the Anna Wintour thing. And I love your observation that "swimsuit season" used to be called summer!

Sounds like you're coming from a really healthy place with all this.