Sunday, August 10, 2008

I've Been Thinking (In Case You Smell Smoke)

Some Autism experts say they think it's best to aim to have a child speaking by the age of 5. My daughter will be 5 in November, and she doesn't speak. She's vocal and communicative, and HAPPY (except when the bugs bite. Stupid bugs), and she may or may not speak. Of course we hope (and expect, by her vocal patterns) that she will, but I'm not going to put a timeline on it. Too much pressure. And a lot of Autistic kids start speaking at age 7 or later.

Speaking of timelines, I WILL lose the weight I've put on in the past couple of years, but, again, no timeline. It took three years to put the weight on; it's not gonna come off overnight.

In my work at the studio I have clients who are coming back from injuries. Nothing life-threatening, but it definitely affects them, physically and emotionally. They see all the things that are "wrong." The lack of strength or flexibility, for example, whereas I can see how strong and flexible they truly are, even if it's not as much as before the injury.
It also makes me appreciate the human body. Most of these people are not "perfect" specimens, but they are real, and beautiful, and amazing.
The fact is, having a six-pack doesn't make you strong. You can look toned and fit, but not be able to move your furniture. Looking beautiful doesn't make you a better person. And yet we keep chasing after the superficial ideals: the "perfect" body, house, car, bag, jeans, etc. But what really matters? That's a question that, IMHO, no magazine article can answer. We each have to ask that question of ourselves, and be patient enough to wait for the answer.
And often the answer changes.

So when I asked myself recently what I most want? It's to be here. Alive. To see my kids grow up and maybe, someday, grandchildren and even great-grandchildren.

Yesterday my father, who is 70 and fighting cancer, fell down the stairs. He's fine, just a few bumps and bruises, but it was a wake-up call. Things happen, and sometimes in an instant. Our parents won't be around forever, and neither will we. Is a flat stomach the real focus of my life? No.
My kids have Autism, and their lives will not be easy. But I can, and want to, be here to help them as much as I can. And maybe see a day when there is a cure, or at least management, for Autism.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

so glad grandpa is OK from the fall - that's so scary and yes, absolutely puts the goal of a six pack into clear focus. I hate how it often takes injuries and bad times to make us step back and appreciate all we have. It's easier said than done, but if we could all slow down and be in the present, we'd all be so much happier. That said, I had a total freakout at the movies the other nite when I thought I'd lost my car keys. Not REALLY that big of a deal when people are battling cancer or, for me, when your neck stops working well.

azusmom said...

You're right, it's not that big a deal in the grand scheme of things, but it's still a freakout-worthy moment!