Monday, July 7, 2014

I Feel Like a Growed-Up!

Saturday morning I was a sex-obsessed toddler with Tourette's.  And a ballerina.  And a member of a hip-hop dance crew.  As well as a panicking airline pilot and a sad, homicidal, ultimately suicidal cruise ship clown.

Because I went to my first improv workout.  My friend, with whom I took a class last year (and for whom I subbed thus past week, more on that later) has a group who gets together every Saturday morning to improvise, and I was able to join them today.
MAN, was it fun!  The group consists of of folks who have a lot of experience and A LOT of talent, so it forces one to up one's game quite a bit. It's very physical, often confusing , and always, always entertaining and enjoyable.  And I will go whenever I can.  Which, I hope, will be every Saturday.  :)

Let me tell you about Wednesday, when I subbed her Acting 1 class.  I was
SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO nervous!  As I may have mentioned, I hadn't taught a class like that in about 15 years.  And y'know what?  It was just like riding a bike.  It all came back to me, like I'd never left it.  The students were FANTASTIC, and we all had a great night.
I'd like to do THAT.  Work with adults, whether they're professionals, thinking about becoming professionals, or just doing it for fun.

I wonder of it might be something I can set up around here, outside of the city, where there is a dearth of acting classes for adults.  There may be folks who don't wish to, or can't, travel into the city, but are still interested in learning.  I may propose a class to our local rec center and see what happens...
And perhaps I could coach.  I mean, why the heck not?  I've met with PLENTY of coaches who are, quite honestly, horrible.  I have a lot of experience and, if I may be so bold as to say, quite a lot to offer.

In the meantime, I will keep writing (when I have time.  Difficult during summer vacation...) and finding my way out of the self-created Box O' Fear I live in.

It's work, but definitely worth it.

No comments: