Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Clawing My Way Out. Or Not.

I remember being a sophomore in college. It was February in New York, in the second year of a VERY intense theater program.  Everything felt gray.  Everything WAS gray; it was February in New York City. One of my classmates put it perfectly: "I feel like I'm stuck in the middle of a quagmire!"
It's an image I've come back to a number of times over the past 24 years.  And I can't believe it's been 24 years since that comment was made.
I'm in yet another quagmire.  There have been a number of them throughout the years.  Such is life.  But they really do suck.  (Literally! Quagmires try to suck down whatever gets stuck in them, right?)
Part of it is moving.  We're in the midst of all the packing/cleaning/getting rid of stuff phase.  SOOOOOO not fun!  But it IS good to get rid of boxes and boxes of crap.

We are, however, having some issues with the buyers, who are not sticking to a verbal agreement we made.  We should have gotten it in writing before we accepted the offer.  We accepted the offer, which was lower than a bunch of other offers we had, because of that agreement. And now they are reneging. Which is making life a whole hell of a lot more difficult than it needs to be.
Which is incredibly stupid.  Because there is no reason for them NOT to abide by the agreement.

What makes me crazy is that it's not about the move.  It's about people making life harder for MY KIDS.  And I CANNOT abide that!  I WILL NOT forgive it.  So, if for some reason they come across this post, they will know that I WILL NOT apologize for writing about it.   You want to be a jerk to me, fine.  You want to dump on my kids?  You'd better be ready for a knock-down, drag-out fight.

I'm trying to take it in stride, to not let it get me down.  But it's really hard.  Combined with a lot of other stuff going on, it's hard not to sucked into the quagmire. I tell myself to stop caring, but I can't.  I do my deep breathing, my meditation, etc.  And it helps.  But it doesn't make it stop.
And yes, I know I cannot control the events in my life, only how I react to them.  And I'm working on it.  Working pretty hard.  But this situation is driving me insane!  I don't understand WHY these folks are making it so difficult!!!!!!! We accepted their offer in good faith.  Why aren't they holding to their end of the bargain?

So, yeah.
Stuck in the quagmire.

I'll keep you posted.

2 comments:

Geosomin said...

Man -I'm sorry the buyer people are making life difficult for you. To me, when you give your word it matters, and to have to have people reneg on agreements, especially when it effects your kids - that just shows a darkness of spirit and selfishness that makes me sad. It's selfish and small and makes me want to drive down there and give them a stern lecture about being nice ot people. I mean kids get taught it - adults should know better. :)
I hope you can find a way to get through with as little impact on your kidlets as possible - good for you for doing what you can to try and get them to stick to their agreement. Hopefully your realtor can help you put pressure on them and get them to be more accomodating...
I hope today is a good day for you :)

azusmom said...

Thank you! And I absolutely agree 100%: it is a darkness of spirit and selfishness.
And, it turns out, superstition.