Monday, September 28, 2009

I've Found My Heart in San Francisco

Yesterday it was 100 degrees. My SIL came over and we took the kids to the pool. For 2 hours. (And they STILL weren't tired!!!!)
It was about 35 degrees cooler today. A perfect Northern California autumn day! After school we took the kids to the Academy of Sciences in Golden Gate Park, and they had a GREAT time!!!!! They just love it there! And we got to see the albino alligator for the first time. He's beautiful, and I swear he was posing for us!
(And I think the penguins believe that they're the observers and we're the display. They all turn to look at us when we watch them. "Look! The humans are back! Boy, are they weird. And kinda ugly. At least the tall ones are. The short ones are pretty cute."
Then tonight we watched the pilot episode of "Trauma," which is not only set but actually filmed in San Francisco. (Hubby had an audition for an episode of it, but didn't get it. He will get cast in it, eventually, I just know it.) I must say I'm not CRAZY about the show, but the exteriors are pretty darn nice!
As we were driving home, I realized (again!) how happy I am that we live here. Did you know that Golden Gate Park is bigger than Central Park? I love that we're surrounded by water; the Pacific on one side and the Bay on the other. I REALLY love the complete and utter lack of snow and ice. (Can you imagine driving around the hills of SF in the snow?!?!?!)
But one of the things I love the most is that IT'S NOT LOS ANGELES!!!!!!!!
The kids are really happy here. They have family nearby, wonderful teachers and therapists, and things like the Academy of Sciences, Exploratorium, Stow Lake, Crissy Field, etc. It's a great place for kids.
And did I mention the lack of snow?
OK, I know some people cannot wait to go to Tahoe to go snowboarding, skiing, sledding, etc. I prefer Tahoe in the summer, when you can swim in the
Really freakin' cold) lake. Maybe it's because I grew up in New England, but I HATE being cold. (And, actually, WG agrees with me. We went to Tahoe for New Year's a couple of years ago, and tried to take her sledding. Let me tell ya, she was having none of it! She preferred to stay in the nice warm hotel room, and I didn't blame her one bit!) I think because many folks in certain areas of California didn't grow up with the snow, and don't have to deal with the everyday headaches it brings (shoveling the car out 14 times a day, letting it warm up, scraping the ice off the windows, slipping on the ice on the ground, etc.) it's a novelty. Something to play in.
When I was a junior in college, I spent a year at Boston University, where my mother is a professor. My cousin was a freshman there. He grew up in El Salvador and then Miami. He stayed with us over Thanksgiving weekend, and saw snow for the first time ever. At 7 AM he was running around the backyard, playing in it like a little kid on a snow day.
By February he was completely over it and wondering why he didn't go to Florida State.
He and his family live in Atlanta now.
Not a lot of snow there, either.
Anyway, I just want to say that I love San Francisco. And so does my family. I hope we can stay here forever.

2 comments:

Crabby McSlacker said...

Ah, you make me eager for the cross-country drive back to the west coast!

Actually, we had a blast this summer, and the Cape has been beautiful this fall, but I have no desire to hang around for winter. And you're right, there are so many fun things to do in the bay area!

azusmom said...

Yeah, the Cape is pretty awesome this time of year. (My mom and her friends spent some time at a friend's house there this summer, and just loves it there!)