Monday, June 8, 2009

Haters S**ck!

I guess I'm channeling my inner 13 year-old here, but a couple of blogs have drawn my attention to something that makes my blood boil. Charlotte has posted on a new book that says we can all shame ourselves and others into losing weight. She writes, much more coherently than I can, about everything that is wrong with this premise.
Over on Big Fat Deal, they link to a HORRENDOUS article in the New Zealand Herald about "tough love" and obesity. ("The F-Word" also blogs about it, with a link to the paper's editor). The writer, Deborah Coddington, quotes John Birkbeck, an ADJUNCT PROFESSOR at Massey University, as saying "You do not see fat people in concentration camps. Why? Because they get hardly anything to eat and they have to do a lot of work."
Even worse, Ms. Coddington AGREES with this baloney!!!!!!
There are so many things wrong with this I don't know where to start. As a Jew, of course, I am disgusted. As a human being, well, I'm STILL disgusted!
Are they saying that fat people should be starved ant tortured? Put in concentration camps? Excuse me, but how many members of THEIR families did the writer and professor lose to the nazis?!?!?!
Sure, starvation works...until you either start eating again or DIE. But I guess fatties don't deserve to live. They should take every measure possible to lose weight, even if it means they have weakened hearts, their hair falls out, their bones become brittle, and they attempt (or succeed in committing) suicide.
So. Thin is the new moral. Those of us with ANY excess fat on us, real or perceived, should just die.
I have one thing to say to Mr. Birkbeck, Ms. Coddington, the writer of that awful book, MeMe Roth, and all the nasty fat-haters out there:
As you reap, so shall ye sow.
In other words, you all are headed for a big ol' karmic ass whoopin'.

3 comments:

Charlotte said...

I love that you invoked karma in your rant. I love your rant. I love you!!

azusmom said...

I love you, too!!!!!

Crabby McSlacker said...

I'm with you on this. And if "tough love" means starvation, humiliation and shaming, it's not "love" at all.

Great rant!