Thursday, September 18, 2008

Of Skinny Jeans, Closets, And Exhaustion

Getting over a rather nasty cold. But thank goodness for Zicam! That stuff really does shorten the duration. Am now entering the disgusting, getting-rid-of-the-guck phase.
Sorry. Is that TMI?
I just read a great post on "Back In Skinny Jeans" about all the reasons to get rid of the clothes in your closet that don't fit anymore. You know the ones; those jeans you wore before you had kids, or that pants/dress/ skirt you bought as an incentive to lose weight, that still has the tags on it.
I agree that getting rid of that stuff is a good thing. You release yourself from ridiculous expectations, AND, if you donate the clothes, someone else can wear them! So you get self-acceptance AND you can feel good about helping others.
There's just one problem: you have to actually, y'know, CLEAN OUT YOUR CLOSET.
As I posted on the site, I was born without the housekeeping gene. I will do the bare minimum: clean up areas that are in plain sight, wash dishes, do laundry, sweep/vacuum (preferably without moving any furniture)/mop, and get rid of some of the clutter. Often by dumping much of it into the closet. Which brings us back to cleaning out said closet.
Don't get me wrong, I will tackle it every few months. But it's so DAUNTING! I admit to being jealous of people who have neat, clean, beautifully organized houses. Especially if they have kids. Of course, most of those folks (at least the ones I know personally) also have either nannies or a maid service.
I also admit to using my kids as an excuse for my cluttered, not-quite-pristine environment. After all, they're very young, and they have Autism! Isn't it more important for me to spend time with them, rather than ignoring them to clean the bathroom? Also, I am their primary caretaker. Plus, I work part-time, and I'm tired!
Which is true. (Cue violins.)
But.
I was like this WAAAAY before we had kids.
Does that make me a bad person? A bad mother?
Hmmm...


Nah.

2 comments:

Charlotte said...

My house looks like a bomb went off. Every day. I'm with you on this one, girl:) Better to have happy kids than a spotless carpet imo.

azusmom said...

Amen, sistah!!!!!