Tuesday, September 23, 2008

NOT Freaking Out. OK, Maybe A Little.

Yesterday we went over to the in-laws for a BBQ. My SIL, her hubby, and the baby are flying back to Hawaii today. My hubby was there, but had to leave for school. My BIL calls my in-laws' place "The House Of Yes." I call it my workout.
There are 3 floors, 5 bedrooms, 4 bathrooms, and nearly 30 years of tchochkes. There are also windows on the 3rd floor with no screens, let alone window bars. And they scare the crap out of me. 'Cause the kids like to go up there, and they like to climb on things. The first thing i do whenever we go there is run around closing windows and closing bathroom doors (our daughter likes to play in the toilet. Lovely).
They recently had some new windows put in on the first floor. Along with window seats. And yesterday, I forgot to close them. So my daughter was leaning on a screen, and she fell. The screen crumbled underneath her and cushioned her fall, but she did scratch her head and, of course, was scared. I was tending to our son and didn't see it, but my SIL was right there, and she ran outside and scooped up my daughter, who, despite her crying, was already getting to her feet and walking towards the fron door. SIL told me what happemed and I calmed my little girl down (it didn't take long: 2 minutes later she was laughing and playing again).
Now I'm trying to calm myself down,lol!
My son also got outside and started running around where he's not supposed to go (and knows it!), and the dog followed my BIL around because he was doing the grilling.
Sometimes I wish I was (were?) an octopus. Or at least had stretchy arms like Mrs. Incredible.
But at least it's never dull!

3 comments:

Charlotte said...

Ooooh how scary Alyssa!! Some days I just sit and wonder how my children will ever make it to adulthood. Or how any children ever do, for that matter. Glad everyone is okay (incl. you!).

azusmom said...

It IS amazing that any of us make it to adulthood!

Missicat said...

Wow! That is scary. I am sometimes surprised I made it out of childhood - I would be the kid up on the roof.
Have to go call mom and thank her/apologize again!