Monday, September 1, 2008

Back Home

OK, I posted on Saturday night, when I got home, but it didn't get published.

So, I'm back. Dad is going to be moved to an in-patient hospice. He's basically semi-comatose (there's a medical term for it, but I can't remember what it is). He wakes up every now and then, and he recognizes us and knows we're there, and can even answer a few yes-or-no questions. But he can't really respond or use the right side of his body. He has A LOT of swelling in his brain, so right now it's all about making him comfortable and stopping the seizures he'd been having.

My mom is a wreck. She's in limbo, spending all day every day at the hospital. But my brother and sister-in-law are there with her, and I'll be going back in a while so my brother can spend a few days at home. She was able to talk to a social worker, who gave her some very good advice: don't try to take care of everything at once. The house doesn't need to be cleaned and sold yet, she doesn't have to deal with ANYTHING except herself and my dad.

Meanwhile, my daughter starts at her new school tomorrow. The good thing is it's the same class my son was in 2 years ago, and it's taught by one of the same teachers. She spent some time there back then, so she is familiar with it all. And when she and my husband went in on Friday to observe, she seemed very excited. Plus, starting next week, she'll be taking the bus, which she LOVES. (The first time she ever took the bus, we were a nervous wreck! But when she got home, I literally had to pry her fingers off the seat because she didn't want to get off.)
I'm glad I get to be with her this week, though.

It's funny: when I turned 39 last month, I kept thinking that I don't feel nearly mature enough to be almost 40. This week has changed that.
Gotta grow up sometime, right?

5 comments:

Charlotte said...

Oh Alyssa! What a hard time in your life. I am so sorry that things are still deteriorating with your father. I know you are a blessing to your mother though. And to your daughter. Good luck with everything and lots of (((hugs)))!

Anonymous said...

wow - you ARE being froced to "grow up" in a sadly hurried way. I'm amazed at how clear-minded you're coming across. Not sure what you're doing for stress relief but it appears to be working. I'm thinking of you and your family...thank God for your sense of humor and ability to tap into writing as an outlet -you're doing pretty damn good it seems.

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry about your dad. My heart aches for you and your family.

I hope school went great today for your daughter. That is so cute about her ride on the bus, my son begs me everyday to let him ride a school bus so I'm sure I'll have to do that with him!

azusmom said...

Thank you all SO MUCH!!!! I can't tell you how much your kind words and support mean to me.

My daughter actually didn't have school today. I brought her, but they didn't have the paperwork, so we had to leave (grrr). She'll (hopefully) start tomorrow.

Keeping my fingers crossed!

Anonymous said...

hope her second first day of school went smoothly :-)