Monday, June 2, 2014

June is Busting Out...

Can't believe the school year is almost over!
Both kids will be in summer school, and we're back to the 2-week overlap, THANK GOODNESS!  Last summer there was NO overlap, and by September I was ready for a padded room.  Plus, we may have some extra help this year: WG's teacher mentioned that many of the school staff are looking for summer employment.  So maybe we can add one or two folks to our respite care, and they can be an extra pair of hands.  And since WG already knows (and loves!) them, it'll be fun! They are all such good folks, too. It takes a special kind of person to work with people with special needs, IMHO.  And they ADORE her!  (Then again, what's not to love, she asked, with NO bias whatsoever!)

We're also getting a (new) mini-trampoline.  :)  We had one, but it got thrashed.  The kids have been bouncing on our exercise ball (and we've had to replace it.  Twice.), and this way they can bounce to their heart's content.  Plus, its good for the lymphatic system.
And, let's be honest, it's just plain fun!
AND...Hubby has promised to be more hands-on with the kiddoes when he's home.  Of course, he's starting rehearsals on a new show come August, just when both kids are home all day.  But he may take a little bit of time off of work in order to help out.  He actually has a specific number of hours each year that he HAS to take off, so that helps.

In other exciting news, at least for me, I got a new pair of glasses for the first time in over 4 years.  It turns out I have a mild astigmatism, because I'm getting old.  But they're purple, they have Transitions lenses, and they sexAY (according to Hubby). Gotta love the Costco opthalmology department!
And I'm going for a hearing test in a couple of weeks.
'Cause as much as I love & miss my dad, I don't want to emulate his auditory behavior.  ("Huh?  What?  Turn up the TV, I can't hear it!"  While the rest of us scramble for the other room before our ears start to bleed.)

*Sigh*

Food & exercise wise, I think I'm doing pretty well.  Feeling good, other than my monthly insomnia (thanks a LOT, girly hormones!).  Last night I did "Squeeze," which is similar to barre workouts, only with even more pain.  I haven't done it in a few years, and, yup, it's still as (horrible) challenging as I remembered. Today is slow-flow-yoga.  I think I'm going to cut down to 5 days a week of workouts, rather than 6. I overdid it a bit last week.
I've been reading a book called "Losing Weight is a Healing Journey" by an Aussie lass named Katrina Love Senn.  She recommends, and I wholeheartedly agree, eating a diet of 80% real foods, 20% lightly processed foods (whole grain bread/pasta, jarred/canned veggies & beans, olive & coconut oils, etc.),  and avoiding heavily processed food as much as possible.
It's not about being perfect, it's just trying to feel better, and feed my family healthier stuff.
Having that ovarian cyst last month taught me that it's an experience I'd prefer to avoid as much as possible.  It HURT, man!  And we all know what a complete an total wuss I am. So keeping it real (food), cutting down on sugar, and even cutting down on supplements will hopefully help.  (I read that overdoing it on probiotics in pill form can contribute to the formation of cycts.)

One nice thing about Weight Watchers these days is the emphasis on whole foods.  Most fruits & veggies are zero points, whereas they used to have quite a bit.  They realized that clients were choosing 100 calorie snack packs over, say, a banana, because the packs had fewer points. Which was one of the reasons I'd given up before.  Cal me whacky, but I think encouraging people to eat more veggies & fruit is a GOOD thing, lol!
Plus, it lets me use one of my 4 dozen cookbooks.

AND I can still have my gigantic soy cappuccino in the morning.

OK, enough about THAT.
As predicted, our (in the collective sense) scary, mean pit bull has become my shadow.  He hangs out with me during the day, and plays with the kids at night (which is pretty damn cute).

And now, I must go nap.
While I can.
Before school is out.

Au revoir, mes amis!


No comments: