Monday, April 14, 2014

Good Intentions...

OK, so I haven't posted in nearly a week.  In my defense, your honor, my kids are home on spring break, and LG had 1/2 days of school most of last week.  Plus, I've been REALLY exhausted lately, more so than usual.  Like, to the point where it's hard to stay awake during the day, even if I get a full night's sleep.

Onto a completely different subject: I've been getting Messages From The Universe lately.  (Is it weird that, as I typed that, I heard it in the Announcer Voice from The Muppets?  The guy who introduced "Pigs In Space"?)
Ever since I was a kid I've often heard songs on the radio that speak to whatever I've been thinking about.  It could be coincidence, but I choose to believe otherwise.  I think it's one of my ancestors doing the cosmic equivalent of hitting me on the head with a spatula and yelling "Pay attention!"
Probably one of my grandparents.  Maybe my Nana: She was a deft hand with kitchen utensils...

Last night, as I was falling asleep, I was, as usual, Worrying About Something. This time it was, I think, Russia and the Ukraine.  And the song "Safe and Sound" by Capital Cities popped into my head.
This afternoon I was listening to the news on the radio & started feeling anxious again.  I changed the station and Corinne Bailey Rae was singing about 3 little birds telling her not to worry.  (BTW, Bob Marley has OFTEN appeared on my radio, telling me that "every little thing is gonna be alright" just when I needed to hear it!  Thanks, Bob!)
Later, as I was having another pity party, thinking about how I "always" come up short, that I'll never achieve anything ever again, yada yada yada (cue, once more, Don Music from "Sesame Street."  "I'll never get it, never!"  Yes, the Muppets play a significant role in my life.  And?), Sara Bereilles came to the rescue, telling me to "Say what you wanna say" and to be brave.  Which had me sobbing in the car.  (Luckily the kids are used to it. Or, at least, resigned to it.)
And there are other examples, which I won't get into.

I'm not a huge believer in the whole Law of Attraction thing.  I don't think people necessarily bring bad stuff down on themselves (unless it's karmic).  I highly doubt that all the folks in Chile who have been killed or left homeless by the wildfires there "attracted" it.  (And, if you can, hold good thoughts for them!)

However, I do believe that what we put our mind to is also where we put our energy and effort.  Like that joke about the old man who goes to church every day and prays to one of the saints to let him win the lottery.  Finally, one day, the statue comes to life and says "My son, please buy a ticket!"
If I put my focus on what I DO want, rather than what I'm trying to avoid, I'll, GUESS WHAT? probably be more proactive in making it happen!  There's another quote I love: "Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."  Goethe, I believe?
Basically, ya gotta ask for what you want, and then work toward getting it.

Again, cosmic DUH! (or possibly Nana) hits me right in the noggin.

So, here we are.  Time for some optimism, some positive reinforcement, and good ol' hard work.

Oh, and one more thing: Remember that fan letter I wrote?  Well, that person's assistant sent me an autographed photo with a little note.  I wasn't expecting anything, and that was really lovely of them.  :) :) :)

Mighty forces, indeed.

No comments: