Friday, May 17, 2013

An Ode to Talent and Hard Work.

Yes, I saw "Star Trek" today!  And I enjoyed it immensely, even in 3-D.  Actually, the 3-D was pretty cool at times.  It's better in movies that were shot with 3-D in mind, and not when it's tacked on at the last minute.  Still not my preferred way of watching, but it was the only option available.

So what is it, I've wondered, that makes me and tens of thousands of others so crazy about Benedict Cumberbatch?  I've said it before, but it bears repeating, I think; in my case, it's because he's AMAZINGLY good!  Whenever I see him perform, I come away inspired.
And that almost never happens.  At least, it hasn't in a very long time, not on this level.
It's like seeing a great work of art, or hearing an inspirational speaker.  It lifts me up and makes me feel fulfilled.  I believe that's what art is supposed to do, at its best.

I also feel a bit humbled.  If I do say so myself,  I got to be pretty good back when I was acting.  But never THAT good! I understand, at least to a point, how much work goes on before he steps on stage or in front of the camera, and, as an audience member, I appreciate the time and care he takes with each role.  It makes me feel respected, that the work is important and he respects it and us.

And after so many years of so much mediocrity in L.A., seeing greatness is a huge relief, lol!  And I do believe he is, and will be, one of the greats.

(BTW, Zachary Quinto is pretty brilliant, as well.)

So, that's my 2 cents.  I've been thinking about it all day, and just wanted to get it down on paper...well, you know what I mean. It's now nearly 10 PM on Friday night, and way past my bed time.

Nighty-night!

No comments: