Saturday, June 18, 2011

Musings

First of all, happy Father's Day to all you dads out there!  Regardless of the fact that the media would have us believe that all Dad wants/needs is a polo shirt, a drill, and a set of BBQ tongs, we know how awesome and amazing you are!

Zombies. (Yes, odd segue, sorry!)
There's been A LOT of talk about zombies lately.  Some of it in jest (check out the book "How to Speak Zombie: A Guide for the Living."  It's hilarious!)  and some of it, not so much.
What would you do in the event of a zombie apocalypse?
Personally, I'd hand the kids off to my husband, since he runs a whole lot faster than I do. And I think the zombies would probably leave me alone, as I'd most likely be mistaken for one of them.  Heck, I'm halfway there already!  Everybody wins!  (The eating of brains would take some getting used to, however...)

Facebook.  Let's face it, I'm lonely.  I don't have friends in my immediate vicinity (so sad and so true), so I rely on the internet to keep in touch with people.  I realize how pathetic that is, and am trying to rectify the situation.  But, quite frankly, it can be hard to make friends with other moms/parents because their kids are typical and they just don't want to hang around us, and the parents of other autistic kids are just too dang tired! Heck, I'M tired. So for the time being I'll socialize electronically.

Finally, today was Ride A Wave, the day that a group of AMAZING volunteers take kids with special needs out on the water.  I wish I could describe how amazing it was, but there really are no words!  It started with Annalise, WG's "Beach Buddy," the volunteer who took care of her during the event.  They connected right away, and when WG wasn't in the water, she was wrapped around Annalise.  It was SO SWEET!
They also offered to let LG participate, even though it was for the students at WG's school.  He'd been running around in the (really frickin' cold!) water, but as soon as we put the wet suit, helmet, and life jacket on, her started throwing a fit and refusing to take part.  Ah well.  Maybe next year!  But it was so wonderful of them to offer,  and the fella assigned to be his Beach Buddy was REALLY nice and very patient.
WG ended up spending 2 hours straight in the water, smiling and sqee-ing the whole time.  Last year she did the boogie board a couple of times and went out on the kayak, and that was it.  This year she boogie boarded about 12,000 times (even wore out the volunteers, lol!), went on the kayak, and then on a surfboard, where she was able to get up on her knees on her own, and onto her feet with help.  Before falling in, which was her favorite part.  But they finally had to take her out of the water when she started shivering uncontrollably and her lips turned blue, lol!  She would've kept going if we'd let her, though!  She spent more time in the water than anyone else, and we were all amazed.  She's still in a great mood, and I think she'll sleep really well tonight.  (Plus, I see some possible surfing lessons at some point in her future.)
I'm so flippin' proud of her and amazed by her I can barely stand it!  And LG loves the beach, he just doesn't want to be constrained, if ya know what I mean.

Now it is 7:30 PM and I'm ready for bed.  Have a good night!

1 comment:

Geosomin said...

I've been scared of zombies (I know I know but I can't help it) since I was a kid. One of the reasons I do cardio is so I can outrun them. When the guy in Zombieland brought up his cardio rule I giggled uncontrollably...cuz it's true :)