Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Dare I Say I Made the Right Choice?

So I decided not to continue my drama teaching gig in the fall.  It just wouldn't be fair to anyone; not to my kids, the kids in the program, or my fellow teachers, with everything going on.  I'd be too distracted and spread too thin, and of no use to anyone.  I came to this decision after thinking long and hard about it, and I did not make it lightly.
I emailed my supervisors about my decision, and apologized for not being able to continue, and that I'm happy to sub or help out any way I can.  And the response?
Crickets.
I'm not waiting for (or wanting) them to fall on their knees and thank me or beg me to reconsider. I just want an email telling me they got MY email.  I'd settle for a "You suck and I wouldn't have you back in these hallowed halls for all the tea in China!"  I just want to know they got my emails!!!!!

On the other end of the spectrum, I just got off the phone with a man who was kinda my mentor when I was in my early 20's.  The one who planted the seed in my head, many years ago, about drama therapy.  I had emailed him a few days ago, and he emailed me back the next day (See?!?!  It's not that hard, people!) and told me to call him anytime.  So I called him tonight.  And even though it was 11 PM on the east coast and he'd just gotten out of rehearsal, he spent 45 minutes on the phone with me, answering my questions, listening to my theories/experiences, telling me about his, and encouraging me to go for it.  He also told me to call, email, or text him "in a heartbeat" if I had any other questions or if I see/read something that I either want to share or get feedback on.  And it reminded me of all the amazing things I learned at that theater company, and what art CAN be, as opposed to all the competition and egotism and other crud I experienced later on.  And that rehearsal can be fun, a place to play, and to find our voices, and to feel safe to express.  That actors and students can and SHOULD be appreciated.  Not worshiped, just appreciated, instead of belittled and dumped on. And that there must be empathy, all the time.  Because people are baring their souls.
THAT'S the kind of work I did years ago, and what I want to do again.

Finally, a few words on WeinerGate:  Dear Politicians, privacy goes poof! when you publicly post pictures of your pecker!  (Ya putz!)
I'm at the point where I'm just gonna take it for granted that the majority of our elected officials will cheat on their spouses, hire call girls/guys, take and email nasty pictures of themselves, lie about hiking the Appalachian trail while running off to Brazil with their mistresses, and quite possibly have a penchant for deviant behavior.  It'll be news when one of them DOESN'T do any of the above.
As a guy on the radio said yesterday, "If we assume that 10% of the general public are knuckleheads, ya gotta allow for at least the same percentage in Congress."
So can we PLEASE get back to covering things like the economy and what's going on in Syria, and stop showing the pictures of these guys' pecs and, um, pecks?  'Cause I REALLY don't want to see that!!!!!!

Thank you for listening.  Or, reading.

2 comments:

Geosomin said...

wow...I get sidetracked by a bunch of data analysis and all sorts of things happen in the big wide world. Weinergate...it sounds quite rediculous :)

I find it is the self important people who dont bother responding to things and the decent honest people who do. It is holiday season, but if your workplace is anything like mine, well...crickets may be your friends for a few days until the "get around" to you...sad isn't it?
I think it is amazing that your mentor still has that much integrity and interest in your life and work. that must be so encourageing :)

azusmom said...

See what happens when you go out of town, lol?!
The silence at work is not a new thing, unfortunately. But we'll see. It doesn't really matter at this point.
And I have to say I'm kind of amazed and humbled and inspired at the generosity of my mentor dude!