Thursday, March 26, 2009

Cleaning Up My Eating (But Not My House!!!!!!)

Sometimes I feel like I get signals from the Universe. For example, I've been hearing A LOT about clean eating over the past few years. I tried it at one point, only to rebel soon after. As in, about 5 hours into it. But lately it seems to be everywhere.
So I'm trying it again. The difference is, I'm not treating it like a diet. I'm not trying to go all-or nothing. My experiences with intuitive eating and non-dieting have led me here. I want to feel good. I'm tired of being tired all the time. My cholesterol is slightly elevated. I don't want to get heart disease or cancer. I want my kids to learn healthy habits. I don't want my husband to get diabetes, like his dad.
And, yes, I want to lose weight. Really want to lose weight. I know, I know, I *should* accept myself and love myself as I am. But it's my business, isn't it? This body of mine? I'm not trying to go all Valerie Bertinelli and get into a bikini, or get super-skinny. This time, for the first time ever, I'm not trying to fit my body into anyone else's "ideal." And I don't think anyone else has the right to tell me how to feel.
So there.
Anyway.
I'll be taking this slowly. As far as I'm concerned, there are no RULES to follow. Advice? Sure, I'll take it. Especially if it comes from the indomitable MizFit (who had a great post about this very topic the other day)!
But no rules. And if I decide I want a cookie or some sourdough bread, I'm gonna have it, darn it! 'Cause life is too short to eat ONLY healthy stuff!
And while I may be cleaning up my diet, I REFUSE to clean my house any more than is absolutely necessary! There! I said it! I'm FREE!!!!!!!
FRRRREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

3 comments:

Charlotte said...

I think your attitude is very sensible and you couldn't pick a better role model (roll model?) than MizFit!! I wish you all success with this endeavor - be sure to keep us posted. I'd love to hear what you learn!

Crabby McSlacker said...

I'm with you--taking incremental steps to eat more healthy food is such a much better idea than a black and white "diet."

I eat mostly healthy, but don't let anyone try to take away my cupcakes!

And I agree, MizFit is a great role mode.

azusmom said...

I'm thinking the 80/20 to 90/10 approach is my ultimate goal. If most of what I eat is healthy, energizing stuff, then the other 10-20% can be fun food. I'm not sure I'll ever be able to give up my froofy-girly-coffee drinks completely, lol!