Saturday, November 1, 2008

It's the Little Things

I was just reading Meg Cabot's blog about how she accepted a dare from a fellow author to dress up as a fairy for Halloween and go out in public (apparently she's got a fairy phobia). You can read all about it on her website, but suffice to say she had a great time AND got carded at a bar!
A couple of years ago, when we still lived in L.A., I was at the grocery store (sans kids, who were waiting in the car with Hubby) and I was buying some wine for a recipe (no, really!), and I got carded. I rushed right out to the car and squealed all about it. It was very exciting!
I also heard a story once from my grandfather about how he and his friends took another friend out for lunch on his 72nd birthday. They ordered a round of drinks, and the waiter asked the birthday boy for his I.D. It totally made his day!

Tonight we had to trim my daughter's fingernails which, believe me, is a lot harder than it sounds! It takes both of us, and still she squirms and kicks and screams and cries. My son was nearby, and at one point he came over to move my husband's hand away from the clippers! He also came over and gave her a big hug, afterwards. He's SO SWEET!!!!!!!! (A few days ago, at school, one of his classmates dribbled yogurt on her hand, so he got up to get a napkin and cleaned her hand! Isn't he adorable???!!!!!!!)
Then, last night, we went to a Halloween party at my SIL's house. My daughter pulled herself up onto a stool by the counter where the cake was and started to help herself. We all saw it and "Awwed!" which scared her. So I cut her a slice, she sat in her grandma's lap, and ate her cake in peace.
The two of them are so freakin' cute I almost can't handle it sometimes!
(I'm trying to post a photo of them in their Halloween costumes. He was a pirate and she was Dora the Explorer.)

So then today I was at the pet supply store to get our dog's special prescrition dog food (for her UTIs), ear powder (for her ear infection), and Glucosamine (for her arthritis...this poor dog!!!!!!) and I felt a nudge on my leg. I look down, and there's a boxer, who had picked up the scent of our mutt. Boxers are one of my favorite breeds, so of course I had to pet her and tell her how sweet and beautiful she is. And I had to look at the cats they have available for adoption, even though we can't adopt one 'cause my husband and his entire family are allergic, which means the kids have a chance of being allergic as well, so I'm reduced to stalking the neighbors' cats and staring at the ones in the pet supply store.

Finally, Hubby and I watched "27 Dresses" while we ate sushi. When the movie first came out I thought it looked kinda dumb, even though James Marsden is in it and I like him. But it was actually pretty cute, with a lot of funny moments in it, which was a nice surprise. Then we saw a preview for "Quantum of Solace," and I think we're gonna hafta actually go to a movie theater and see it, 'cause I don't want to have wait for it to come on cable! ESPECIALLY since there isn't a new full season of "Doctor Who" until 2010!!!! I gotta have my hot British men quota met!

It's the little things in life that mean so much, after all.

No comments: