Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Dr. Susan Love...

Has a new project. It's called An Army of Women (www.armyofwomen.com) that seeks healthy female volunteers to donate blood and tissue for breast cancer research. She was the first person in the medical field to connect hormone replacement therapy with breast cancer, and was almost universally reviled for it. Now, of course, we know that she was right.
The amazing thing (though not that surprising) thing is that when she proposed this project, the response from most of her colleagues was "No, we can't do that! We can't ask healthy women to donate blood and tissue! And even if we could, where would we find them?"
Sometimes smart people can be a little, well, not-so-smart. (And I put myself at the top of that list!)

In other news, the San Francisco Chronicle has an article today by their food writer (Marlena Spieler) who, in the last year and a half, has lost about 150 pounds by learning to savor and enjoy her food more. She writes "Loving good food and everything about it is a cherished part of my life, as well as the way I make my living. There is no place in my kitchen or life for mediocre food, whether junk or dietetic. I need the joy factor."
Sounds good to me!
Life is too short to eat crappy food.

2 comments:

Charlotte said...

Your last sentence should be a bumper sticker! Do you have a link for the breast cancer project? I wouldn't mind donating blood. Good to see you back, girl:)

azusmom said...

I'm having trouble getting a link up (I know, shocking! I can't figure out the technology!), but if you just google armyofwomen.com it should come up for you.

Hopefully.

If not, just google Dr. Susan Love, and that otta do it!