Wednesday, March 5, 2014

I've Written a Fan Letter

Yup.  I'm a 44 year-old, semi-professional adult.  A mom of 2.  And I have written a fan letter, which I don't think I've done since I was 15.
I must say I'm a little embarrassed to admit this.  But then I think about what would happen if I were on the receiving end.  I always appreciated it when someone told me they enjoyed my work.  And this person has been a standard toward which I strive, professionally.  And personally, truth be told.  Because, by all accounts, this person is an incredibly kind and generous human being.  Which is not always easy when one is in the entertainment industry.
But more, I recently saw a fan video of this person taking time out to reassure a 5 year-old girl with autism that, yes, his character DOES want to be her friend, and he hopes she wants to be his.  He made her (and her family's) day, and mine.  The video has gone viral, and folks in the autism community are cheering.  A lot of people on the spectrum have said that seeing it has given them hope.
So I've written a letter, thanking this individual for making a difference, and telling them how much I like their work.

I haven't mailed it yet.  Because there are a couple of things I want to change.  Plus, I'm also sending along some drawings my son made for them.
And I'm vacillating between nerves and embarrassment.
Because I'm 44, not 15.  And a part of me thinks I'm too damn old for this sort of thing.

In other news, I think I've been cast in a show!  It's Equity waiver, so I won't get paid or anything.  But it'll be the first show I've done in 11 years!
And I'm kind of excited!

In less-happy news, there's some tension here because of the relationship between my niece and the dog.  As in, she's almost 2 and loves to do things like grab his tail and put her hand in his mouth.  He's very patient, but her parents are, understandably, nervous. So we're running an experiment: I'm keeping him upstairs, in our living area, with the security gate up while her parents are at work (my mother-in-law watches her during the day, but she's also taking care of my still-recuperating father-in-law).  When they come home, he will have the run of the house.
Not that he runs much. He mostly lounges.  He is 8 years old, after all.  And he's never hurt another soul.  I'm REALLY hoping this works, because I'd like to keep him here.  He's kinda like my step-dog, and I love him like crazy.
I'm worried.
And a little pissed off.  Because he's a dog, not a car.  They adopted him when he was a puppy.  He's family.  And you don't just send family away.  If they do, he won't understand why, or that it is not his fault.  It's heartbreaking. And I don't have much say in the matter, because he's not "my" dog, and she isn't my child.

I'll keep you posted. Until then, here's hoping for the best!

2 comments:

Geosomin said...

Congrats on bring cast in the show. That is so cool!

Good for you helping out with the dog. Pets really are family.

I'd be nervous writing a letter like that somehow! Such a chicken about that sort of thing. :)

azusmom said...

Thank you!
I ALMOST didn't send the letter. But I frog-Marched myself over the the list office. :)