Monday, June 3, 2013

Wheat Wheat...Don't Feed Me!

A few days ago I decided to go off of wheat.  Not necessarily all gluten, just wheat.  To see how I do.  And y'know what?  I feel A LOT better!
I've had headaches in the morning the past 3 days, but I can't tell if they're some sort of withdrawal or just hormones ('cause it's THAT time of the month again, Sally!). But the headaches fade before I even think to take anything, and for the rest of the day I've felt really good!  More energetic, less cranky, not bloated at all, and today I got through a pretty grueling Bar Method workout without either wanting to fall asleep or screaming obscenities at the instructor.
I've been ingesting my fresh juice every morning, then mainly protein and veggies for the rest of the day.  With a bit of rice or quinoa.

And chocolate.
But I haven't been craving nearly as much sugar as before, or even *gasp!* as much coffee.  I'm certainly not ready to give up caffeine, but I find myself having one cup a day instead of two.  I'm not needing that afternoon caffeine fix.

Of course, it's only been 3 days, so we'll see what happens.

So far, I'm not missing it.

I also have a copy of the "Wheat Belly Cookbook," so I can try some recipes from that.

Turning to other news, WG had a GREAT time at Ride A Wave on Saturday!  It was sunny and warm, and the water was even a couple degrees below hypothermia. It's always so amazing to see how many people show up to volunteer, and how terrific they are with all the kids.
Plus, my brother-in-law made a surprise visit from Colorado, so he came with us and helped watch LG.  Then my S-I-L, niece, and other B-I_L showed up.  Along with a few of WG's teachers.  It was so nice!

Later we went out to dinner to celebrate B-I-L's PhD.  Needless to say, Sunday was a day of rest and recovery.
Ride A Wave is usually on a Sunday, but having a day to recuperate makes so much sense.  The kids are in the sun/water for nearly 4 hours, so they're pretty wiped out afterwards (as are their parents, lol!).  And between surfing, boogie boarding and kayaking, it's a full day. Plus, it's quite a drive to Santa Cruz for many of us.
Oh, and add to all that that WG was displaced from her room for the weekend, and she barely slept. All weekend.  So Mom barely slept all weekend.

This is the last week of the regular school year for LG.  He'll start summer school right away, but it's only 3 hours per day.  Luckily we have access to a pool now (whew!), so I can throw him in the water for a couple hours.
I can't believe he's going to be a 7th grader.

Now THERE'S something that makes me wanna go lie down!

3 comments:

Geosomin said...

But screaming obscenities at the instructor is one of the best parts about home workouts :P

Crabby McSlacker said...

That's great that you're doing so well without the wheat! There are so many alternatives now.

Hope the headaches go away too!

azusmom said...

True, lol!

And true. And the headaches are gone. :)