Monday, April 8, 2013

Madness. Madness, I Tell You!

I watch reruns of "Doctor Who" in the morning.  I know, I know, I should probably NOT do it.  And up until a few years ago, my mornings were blissfully quiet, even with 2 young kids.  But then Hubby went on tour, stayed with his brother & sister-in-law, and got into the habit of watching the morning news with them.  So I got into the habit after he came back.  Then I decided I HATED watching the morning news, and took off upstairs ASAP (which now means after WG has been picked up for school and LG's lunch has been made).  I bring breakfast for myself and LG upstairs.  But BBC America has been showing reruns of DW at 7 AM PST, and I just can't seem to resist.
So, I watch TV in the morning.  And today I saw (yet another) Nutrisystem ad featuring a woman who hosts one of those morning talk shows in L.A. that I could never stomach.  She's probably in her 30's, but she looks older.  Why?  BECAUSE SHE'S SO FREAKIN' SKINNY!  And ORANGE!

L.A. goes through a lot of weird fashion trends.  Back in the 90's it was lipstick with a darker shade of lip liner.  That was all the rage, and women everywhere in the city looked like they'd just drunk (drank?) a big glass of chocolate milk. Then came the new century, with its super-skinny jeans and thongs sticking out the back. Yeah, classy!
Now it's bikinis with short shorts, high heels, hair extensions, and fake, orangey-tans.  And it is HIDEOUS!!!!!!!  Seriously, they look FREAKY! I know this is mean, but I just don't get it!  WHY would anyone want to look like the Crypt Keeper?  Because along with all of the above, the Botox thing is NOT going away. Not only not going away, but being used by younger and younger women.  I saw 2 other women this morning who's faces LITERALLY did not move while they were speaking.  And one was a yoga instructor!  I'm sorry, but flexibility in the body should include facial muscles.

At some point this week I am going to take the train into the city and walk around.  Just so I can see regular folks.  Sure, I can see regular folks in the 'burbs, but I live right near one of the most fabulous cities on the planet, and I may as well take advantage!  I love the hodgepodge of people in San Francisco.  From conservative business types to hippies to tourists to I-don't-know-WHAT-that-is. All coexisting fairly peacefully.
And, unlike L.A., there are very few super-skinny, overly-tanned, highly-botoxed, perfectly made-up, hair-extensioned 25 year-olds.  (If they wanna do that to themselves, that's fine. Doesn't mean the rest of us have to like it.)

Plus, WG is on spring break next week, so I need to get out out while I can, lol!

OK, rant over.  I'm going to try and do some yoga around my literally downward facing dog.
(Wish me luck: He's taking up most of the space!  :))


2 comments:

Crabby McSlacker said...

Too funny about the scrawny orange frozen-face crypt keepers!

If you add LA and SF and divide by two, you kinda get SD. Love the weather in San Diego, and culturally it's not as superficial as LA, but I sure miss the SF funky eclectic vibe!

Btw, you may want to stop by Cranky Fitness... or heck, just email me your shipping info for the nectresse at crabby mcslacker at gmail dot com.

Congrats!

azusmom said...

YAHOOOOOOO!!!!!!! Thank you!
I went to grad school in San Diego. 3 years in La Jolla. It was rough. If we didn't live in SF I'd want to move back to SD. And yes, PERFECT weather!