Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Back to Basics

As I've posted before, I need to work on my endurance.  I'm quite strong (thank you, Pilates and my kids!).  I also wrote I was going to be doing more barre-based workouts, which I haven't been doing as much as I intended.
So, I'm going to try a regime of mixing said barre workouts with Slim in 6/Slim Series, the workouts that got me back in shape after WG was born.  I'll be doing these 3-4 days a week (mixing and matching) along with yoga and my Pilates classes. I'll be teaching more off the mat, so to speak.  Doing less and observing/correcting more. And HIIT for cardio, since it doesn't take up much time and kicks my patootie.  I don't want to go back to working out 12 hours a week, so I'll be judicious in what I'll do on which days.  (For example, on Fridays I work with a private client on the reformer: I don't do the exercises, so I can do a Si6 or barre workout that day.)
So we'll see how that goes.

In other news, I had this whole post ready to go about my decision to not teach drama classes for really young kids anymore, once this current class finishes.  Then I realized that, hello!, my employers or one of the parents could possibly stumble upon it.  It was full of grousing and, after sleeping on it, I've decided not to post it.  Just getting it all down in writing helped, and a good night's sleep has given me some perspective.  Because as adorable and fun as the kids are, I just don't think I'm cut out to teach them.  Especially in large groups (the class currently has 20).
I've also been questioning my decision to teach acting, drama, etc. AT ALL right now.  We're on wildly shifting sands: we don't know how long it will be until we have to move,  if hubby will ever be made a permanent employee at his job; I've spread myself way too thin (as I wrote about recently), and my kids need their mom. I cannot take on a ton of financial responsibility AND be a full-time mom.  We cannot afford full-time child care, and my in-laws cannot be solely responsible for taking care of the kids while Hubby and I are working. So I'll keep teaching Pilates and bringing in a bit of money, but my main focus will be the kids.
One of the problems with working at 5 different places is trying to schedule everything.  Being home when the kids are, or making sure their grandparents can be with them (even picking them up from school, if need be),  scheduling clients around other jobs, giving myself enough time to sit in traffic, and scheduling the kids' therapies around everything else. I kind of feel like a field marshal, lol!
So I'm going to simplify things.  Pare it down, just like we're TRYING to do with our stuff. Give myself permission to NOT be responsible for everything and everyone, ALL of the time.  Be responsible for the kids, and keep them as my top priority.

It's all a big relief, actually.
I'm breathing easier than I have in REALLY long time.

Now I'm gonna go play with my virtual cats.

Shana Tova, everyone!  Happy Jewish New Year!

No comments: