Tuesday, July 13, 2010

The Light at the End of the Tunnel?

Possibly! Tomorrow after  dropping the kids off at school(s) I'm heading over to the gym to check out the brand spankin'-new interactive Spin bikes!!!!!!
Yes, it's a Spin bike with a computer console that let's you select a pre-programmed, pre-recorded spin class.  Which is great, since I usually can't make the scheduled live classes. There are only 3 such bikes at the gym, but I figure if I go in at 9:30 in the morning I'll have a somewhat decent chance of getting one.
Is it weird that I'm so excited about this?
Part of it is just being able to move again, period! My back isn't 100%, but at least I can go from sitting to standing without spending 20 minutes hobbling first. I'm being careful, but it sure feels nice to have mobility!  (That old saying comes to mind: You don't know what you've got 'till it's gone.  And let me tell ya, teaching last week was a chore.  It's easier this week!)
In other news, my S-I-L, the one who works with Autistic kids, has been working with WG, G-d bless her!  She's helping us to help her curb the meltdowns.  When WG starts pinching, scratching, or pulling hair, we say "No" or "No thank you" very firmly, then put her down until she stops.  And we do it over and over and over and over again until she gets the message.  It'll take a while, but it's working!
And in OTHER other news, tomorrow (7/14) is LG's 9th birthday!!!!!!! I can't really believe it; it seems like just 2 weeks ago he was toddling around on chubby little legs wearing a diaper! Now he's going into 4th grade!  The pirate-themed decorations I ordered for his party (on Saturday) arrived today, and I think I'm more excited about it than he is.  I'm not sure he knows tomorrow is his birthday, but I'm sending some (gluten-free) chocolate chip cookies to school with him so they can celebrate.
The sad news is that Thursday will be his last day with this awesome, AMAZING teacher.  He's been with her for 2 years, and has made HUGE strides!  He's a reader now, and he's doing math.  He's able to focus, to concentrate, and he is so aware of other people!  He wasn't like this before. There's no way t truly thank her for everything she's done for him, but we're sure gonna try!
(And, in a moment of great mommy pride, our friend told us she's amazed at what a sweet boy he is.  And he is!)
Hubby is going great guns at his new job, enjoying it very much.  I've theoretically cut down on the number of classes I teach, but I've been subbing so many others that I can't really tell.
OK, it's 9:30 PM, I've been up since 4:30 AM, and my eyelids are slamming shut. Gotta go catch some stardust.  HAve a god night!

No comments: