Sunday, February 7, 2010

Signs

Some very exciting things have been happening here.  Other than the fact that we ALL have what seems to be the same cold. 
Yeah.  Not fun.

Well, let me just say that WG is starting to fade out the in-home therapy she has been getting for nearly 3 1/2 years.  But this is good, because...
SHE'S GOING TO A NEW SCHOOL!!!!!
And not just ANY school, the Morgan Autism Center in San Jose!!!! One of the oldest schools in the country devoted solely to kids with special needs, mainly Autism (hence the name). AND, she could conceivably  stay there until she's 22 years old!   She'll get picked up at 7:15 AM (ugh, lol!) and brought home at 3:30 PM.  And the best part? 
OUR SCHOOL DISTRICT IS PAYING FOR IT!!!!
Because they recommended it.  I'd never even heard of it.  But last week I went down for an interview and to see the campus, and knew right away that this would be the PERFECT place for her. 
The first sign was that the program director brings her dog to work.  She is a 13-year-old retriever who loves everyone, and lets all the kids (and adults, too, more on that later) pet her.
When I saw the classroom, I found out that not only do they have assistive communication devices, but speech and occupational therapy are part of the everyday curriculum.  Every student spends the entire day, other than snack, lunch, and recess, one-on-one with a teacher.  All the teachers do 15-minute rotations with all the kids.  Also, this school very rarely has any openings, so when this one came along, for a 6 year-old, I took it as another sign.
After I left, Hubby called and asked me to pick up a job application for an assisted-living complex in San Jose.  Turns out it's 3 blocks from the school!  When I went over, there was a cat and his human sitting outside.  I pet the cat and chatted with the human (better than the other way around, right?), and it turns out that not only did he, the human, grow up near Boston,  he knew my dad!  Had, in fact, given him a lead on what turned out to be a HUGE news story!
Coincidence?  I don't believe so.  I have to wonder if Dad was up there pulling a few strings.
(A few other weird things: the school is right off of Santana Row, where my boss used to work, at the same club that owns the one we now work at.  It's also near the Winchester Mystery house, which we took a tour of a few years ago when my parents were visiting.)

This past Thursday I brought WG to the school so she could spend an hour in class and see if it would be a good fit.  I went to a nearby mall to get some coffee and calm my nerves. (I know, I know, trying to calm nerves with coffee is light trying to put out a fire with lighter fluid.) By the time I got back, they were ready to offer her the slot.  And told me that not only could she start Monday, she could start taking the bus right away!  She LOVED it there, and they fell in love with her.
Of course!  I may be biased, but pretty much everyone falls in love with our kids.

The school caters to kids of all ages (and will even potty train WG!), but also has adult groups.  I'm not sure EXACTLY what that entails  (but also don't have to worry about it just yet).  We're even thinking it might be a good place for LG when he starts middle school, if they have room.
We'll see.

Speaking of LG, Hubby took him to the rock climbing gym with his buddies on Friday night.  And not only did  LG climb, he sang WHILE he climbed! Then he took a shower and went into the sauna with the guys. With a towel wrapped around his waist, just like Daddy.  He was a little startled at first, but then he settled in and started singing again, much to the amusement of everyone else in the sauna.  (They only stayed 5 minutes.  Don't want too much exposure, lol!)

SO that's the news from here.  I've gotta go fill in a few thousand pages of paperwork to send with WG tomorrow.  Have a good night!


P.S.  Yeah!  Go SAINTS!!!!!!!! 

No comments: