Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Richard Simmons

We all know him.  You either love him or hate him, as it's hard to be indifferent to all that energy and all those sparkles.  If you ever saw THAT clip of him on "Whose Line Is It Anyway" you probably fall into the former category.
I've always been a fan.  When I was a kid, my friend's mom was on his program.  She had the workout videos, the snacks, and the Deal-A-Meal.  We'd walk into the house to find her Sweatin' to the Oldies, having a grand old time.  And I was fascinated.
As I got older, he never seemed to age.  And I started wondering why he kept showing up on "Letterman" when all Dave did was make fun of him.  I finally realized; Dicky has a sense of humor!  He doesn't take himself SERIOUSLY!!!!!!  But he does take his WORK seriously, and he actually cares about us fatties.  The ones the rest of our culture have deemed Too Useless To Live.
Last night I was watching Dr. Oz.  (Seriously, I'm lusting after that man's brain!  I mean, yeah, he's attractive, but he's SOOOOOO SMAAAAART!!!!!!!) And who should appear, but Richard Simmons!!!!!  He's about to release his 59th workout DVD (!!!!!!) and was showing off some of his moves.
And you know what?  It looked like FUN!
So today I went on his website, and he has two workouts that (sorry) jumped out at me: "Sweatin' to the 80's"  and "Sweatin' to Broadway."
And my little heart went pitter-pat.
I can work out to SHOWTUNES?!?!?!?!  Where has this DVD been all my life?
And, yeah, sure, once in a while an instructor at the gym might throw an 80's tune into the mix, but they're few and far between.  But an ENTIRE workout set to synth-rock?  Oh, I am THERE, BABY!!!!
I have to see if they have these at the library.
Because, while I kindamaybesorta enjoy my "Insanity" workouts, sometimes you just gotta mix it up.  And I'm feeling too old and fat right now to be jumping around so much.  Maybe I can do "Insanity" 2-3 days a week, plus other cardio, plus my yoga and Pilates.  And I've missed my Spin classes.  Wanna get back to those, too.

I guess I'm just not the kinda gal who can follow one prescribed program for too long.  I get bored and don't get any results. Plus, I CAN'T do "Insanity" as prescribed AND teach 4 days a week!  My legs will fall off!  And sometimes ya just wanna have FUN doing your workout, rather than pray for it to be over.

Finally, this morning I had Hubby take a full-body picture of me in my workout clothes.
(Um. YIKES!!!!!)

I'm thinking of posting it.

It'll motivate me.

Or get me cast as "Tweedledum" in the "Alice In Wonderland" sequel, 'cause I'm kind of cute and round and cranky.

When will this week be over?

2 comments:

Charlotte said...

I LOVE Richard Simmons. Unlike so many fitness professionals, he just seems so genuinely good-hearted. You can tell he really cares about people and is doing his best to help them. Good for you - I would totally do those workouts with you! They sound so fun:)

azusmom said...

And the library has the 80's DVD!!!!!!! I've placed a hold on it. As soon as it's returned, that puppy is MINE!