Monday, August 17, 2009

With Friends Like These

OK, first of all, off-topic, I am SO not watching "Dancing With the Stars" this season! Tom DeLay?!?!?! Aaron Carter?!?! WTF?!
The guild is off the rose for me. Actually, since Christian didn't win last season (and other than him it was so freakin' BORING), I think I just won't watch anymore. I'll stick with "So You Think You Can Dance," with people who have REAL talent.
Yeah, I'm a snob. Sue me.
'Course, you won't get much, 'cause I'm a BROKE snob...

Anyway, I've come to some more realizations over the past few days. There have been a couple of people that I've been trying to stay in contact with. One is a friend since 2nd grade, and one is a friend from my 20's. I had deep, profound friendships with both. Or so I thought. I have reached out to both, and have heard nothing back.
I understand people are busy. I understand that time and distance can make people who were once close lose touch. But one of these folks found me on Facebook and friended me, then disappeared. The other I sent an online birthday card to (our birthdays are close together). I got a message that my card was received and read. The next day, on my birthday, nothing.
OK, fine. Never mind that it was our 40th birthdays. But I think I know what happened, that this person has taken offense to the fact that I sent an email and not a "real" card. If that's the case, well, the hell with it. If you're that easily offended, screw it. I don't need to have you in my life. If you can't accept that I have 2 kids with special needs, a job, a husband, and money issues, and that they take priority,then I don't have time or room in my life for you.
Of course, this may not be the case. It may all be a big misunderstanding. but when I have been trying, quite literally for YEARS in one case, to get in touch, to no avail, then even I can take a hint.
And that goes for other aspects of my life, as well. I have spent SO MUCH TIME trying to please people that I lost myself. So, guess what?
Screw it!!!!!
You don'y like the way I parent? None of your business. I'm a DAMN good mom! Don't like the way I look? Don't look at me. Don't like the way I teach? Don't take my classes. Don't like my opinions? Don't listen to me. I. Don't. Care.
There are people in my life whose opinions matter. Everyone else, meh. There are people in my life who have been and will always be there for me. So I will always be there for them. the others? Screw 'em. I have a life. A full life. I have NOTHING to apologize for, and if you're pissed off at me for some imagined slight I supposedly committed years ago, then that's YOUR problem, not mine.
Oh, and by the way, just because I do something DIFFERENTLY than you, doesn't mean I'm WRONG.
So from now on, I live my life for me, my kids, my family. Take me as I am, or leave me the fuck alone.

No comments: