Monday, April 28, 2008

Look Ma, No Rules!

Part of Intuitive Eating, which I've been doing for a little over a year now, is getting rid of all the "rules" and "shoulds" regarding food and exercise. So, when I recently started P90X, a new workout that comes with a meal plan, part of me was worried about falling back into old patterns of trying to do it "right" and punishing myself if I didn't, or being too strict.

But I haven't fallen back into the old patterns. I'm not trying to do it "right." I'm not following the meal plan. I'm just doing it my way (cue Sinatra music?).

Saturday I "should" have done the lower body workout. But I didn't. I was tired, and I took my dog for a walk. And that was it.
Yesterday, Sunday, "should" have been my rest day. But it was beautiful out, so we hitched the bike trailer to Hubby's bike, put the kids in, and rode 10 miles to a really great playground. After chasing the kids around for about 45 minutes, we rode home. Then I took the dog to the dog park. It was a great day! OK, so my butt is still a bit sore, it was totally worth it!

Today I'll do P90X chest and back. And it'll be fun. Tomorrow, Pilates. Wednesday? I don't know. We'll see what I feel like doing. And if I eat good, fresh, healthy food, it's because I WANT to, not because someone else is telling me what to eat.

So there.

I think I've finally begun to quiet the NNSSC's.
(In case you don't know, those are the Nosy Nattering Semi-Subliminal Chipmunks. It's what I call the judgmental voices in my head. The ones that say things like "Do you REALLY need that whipped cream on your mocha?" or "Maybe you should buy some more Spanx.")

2 comments:

Charlotte said...

I have wanted to try P90X for SO long! I used to see infomercials for them when i was up nursing in the wee hours & they were sure tempting!

But, back to the point - good for you for just being sane about stuff! It's easy to fall back into bad habits but it sounds like you've practiced enough that now your good habits are the ones you fall back on! Kudos!!

azusmom said...

Thanks, Charlotte! It IS so easy to fall back into old habits! Hopefully, like you say, I'm developing new, happy habits!

As for P90X, I'd be willing to share, if you ever want to try it. Just let me know.