Monday, April 14, 2008

I Don't remember That!!!!!

OK, so, in the 80's I watched "A Room With A View" on a flight to England. Then I bought the book and read it. I was all of, I think, 16, and pretty much enamored of most things English. Except Margaret Thatcher. And the food.

So, last night, I decided to check out Masterpiece Theater's new version of "ARWAV." OK, Now it's called "Masterpiece," and it's hosted by Gillian Anderson instead of Allistair Cook (who, unfortunately, passed away), in front of this bizarre, REALLY red background that makes her red hair look, well, even redder.
But I digress.

O.M.G!!!!!! I DO NOT remember George Emerson, our hero, DYING IN WWI, after only 10 years with Lucy!!!!!!! Did that happen in the book? Am I crazy?!?!?! Did anyone else here read the book? Do I have to go to the library and get it? I MUST KNOW!!!!!!

The screenplay was written by Andrew Davies, who is great. (He wrote the screenplay for the 90's "Pride & Prejudice, the one with Colin Firth.) But this freaked me out! Especially as the scenes blur from the two of them in bed together to him lying dead on a field, eyes glazed over. I think my heart literally stopped for a few seconds.

I know, it's fiction. It's only a TV show. But, see, THIS is why I read romance novels and chick-lit! I'm at a point in my life where I NEED happy endings! God knows I'm neurotic enough in my everyday life! I used to read a lot of "serious" fiction. But I just cannot take it anymore! I don't want to read about 13 year-old girls being raped and murdered. And it seems like that's a big theme in all these critically lauded, award-nominated books lately.

OK, rant over. I'm going to go workout, and take out my sorrow and frustration on that.

No comments: