Saturday, January 12, 2008

Happy Mavericks Day, Everyone!

If you're not a surfer, and/or you don't live in Northern California, today is the start of the Maverick's Surf Contest (on MySpace at mavverickssurf), at Mavericks Beach in Half-Moon Bay. Surfers from all over the world come and compete, and about 50,000 people show up just to watch. It's pretty cool.
Jeff Clark, who founded the event, discovered the surfing scene at Mavericks. For 15 years he surfed there by himself, and tried to convince other surfers to come try it. But no one believed him!
They do now!
I don't surf. My husband is a beginner. And a couple of years ago our kids took part in Surfer's Healing, which is a group that travels around the country and takes Autistic kids out on the water. It was started by a professional surfer who has an Autistic son. He noticed that his son was calmer on the water. It is a wonderful organization, and is completely free for the participants. It makes me wish I WAS a surfer, until I get on a board and start freaking out.
Maybe I'll just buy a skateboeard and pretend.
Have a great day!

No comments: