Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Birth Control, Anyone?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but we ARE in the 21st century, right? Not the 18th? We DO have access to birth control?
So what's up with Jessica Alba, Lily Allen and, God help us, 16 year-old Jamie Lynn Spears, and unplanned pregnancies?!?!?!
Don't get me wrong, if Jessica and Lily are happy, I'm happy for them. And for Nicole Richie, et al. Pregnancy and parenthood are WONDERFUL things. And they are ADULTS! But you'd think that a 16 year-old, with a sister who had 2 kids back to back and is basically a mess right now and fighting for custody of said kids, would at least use a condom! (If not swear off sex altogether, at least for the time being!)
Look, I shouldn't judge. At all. I am the LAST person on earth who should be judging this! Things happen. And I do live in the real world, we're kids have sex. But I can't help but feel for kids who are born to people who may or may not be devoted to each other and the idea of raising a family. Even if they don't stay together as a couple, one would hope they remain, if not friendly, at least civil, and devoted to the kids. But how is a 16 year-old, especially one with a whole lot of family drama going on already, going to be able to be a mom?
You know, I consider myself pretty liberal. But I think we can all agree that this glut of unplanned pregnancies is not the best trend to come down the pike. And, sorry, I don't think 15 and 16 yr-olds should be having sex. Yes, I know that they DO, but it's my blog, and it's my humble opinion that it's a bad idea.

No comments: