Thursday, February 2, 2017

Ways To (Hopefully) Curb Anxiety

I went to the Women's March in San Francisco.  Apparently, by some estimates, there were 100,000 of us there.  It was heartening, to say the least.
It felt good to be taking action.  I'm now looking for places to volunteer, to counteract the horror show that is the current political climate.

Because if I don't, I might just explode.  My weight is up a few pounds, and my skin keeps breaking out.  It's like having Permanent Menstrual Syndrome. And I desperately need more sleep.

But there are other things I can do NOW to counteract the tension.  Tapping (EFT), sitting quietly/meditating, yoga, and walking.  And dance parties!  I always forget how good it feels just to turn on some good tunes and move around.  Especially when my kids join in: They don't care that I dance like an overly-caffeinated flamingo (lots of arm-flapping and kicking).

And, of course, having a nice warm puppy to snuggle with helps a lot.

I mustn't forget that this Sunday is the Superbowl.  Which, to me, means one thing: PUPPY BOWL ON ANIMAL PLANET!!!!!!!!!!
I mean, sure, the Patriots are playing, and my brother is working high-level security, but...well...I've just never been a football fan.  I'll watch the halftime show.  That totally counts, right?

I finally got my car fixed.  I'd been rear-ended back in October. The other driver was completely cool about it, and his insurance is covering all the repairs.  So far, at least.  ;)  I dropped the car off on Monday and picked it up this morning.  So I've been taking advantage of our fantastic public transpo, and also walking A LOT.  As I mentioned above, walking is a great stress-reducer for me.  And it's also the best way to keep my weight down.  Don't get me wrong, I love my free weights and Spin bike and Pilates and yoga and barre, but for weight management, walking just works for me.

I also went to a different Weight Watchers meeting this week.  Since I didn't have my car, I skipped Tuesday and went today, instead.  In order to keep my free Lifetime membership, I have to weigh in at my first meeting of the month.  So I stepped on the scale, even though I'm up 5 POUNDS since last week!  (I figure it's mostly a combination of hormones and stress).  And the leader was REALLY great about it.  She reminded me not to freak out over the number on the scale, and to take care of myself from the inside.

Today I got 20,000 + steps on my Fitbit.  Between the walk from Caltrain to the body shop (dodging incoming high school students all the way), walking the dog, and a nice walk after dinner, I got plenty of hoofing time.

And I AM feeling calmer.
Finally!

During my walk tonight I listened to the interview Peter Capaldi gave to the BBC on Monday night, in which he revealed that this coming season will be his last on "Doctor Who."  He started to get very emotional, and I have to say that I was right there with him.  He's brilliant, and I'm going to miss him on the show.  But It'll be exciting to see what he does next.

OK.  Bedtime.  Nighty-night!

1 comment:

Geosomin said...

There's a Puppy Bowl? I had no idea. Sounds like the wise choice to me :)
I'm glad you're feeling better. I know for me dancing is some of the best medicine I can give myself. :)
I hope the month keeps bringing you smiles.