Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Jennifer Garner, Don't Let Me Down!!!!

The always adorable JenGar has been appearing in some ads lately for a new Neutrogena nighttime moisturizer. Now, I'm a big fan of the Neutro, ever since I had a horrifying case of acne in my early 20's and used their basic cleanser to help make it go away. (I also LOVE their sesame body oil! Smells so good!)
Anyway, I was looking through a magazine, and they recommended this moisturizer because it's supposed to help you wake up looking well-rested, even if you aren't. I've noticed that lately i've been looking a bit, well, dead. And not sexy-"Twilight"-vampire-eternally 17-and- dewey-undead, just...dead. ( Like Night of the Living Dead. With about as much energy, though a different diet.) Last night, I even put on makeup before I taught my class. I almost NEVER wear makeup, but I didn't want to scare my clients.
It didn't help.
That's when I knew it was time to break out the big guns. So, on my way home after class, I stopped at the drugstore and dropped $30 on the moisturizer AND some new Biore nighttime eye cream, which purports to help one "appear more rested." I slathered both on before bed, popped an Advil PM (thank you, monthly cycle, for the gift of cramps AND insomnia!) and crawled under the covers, waiting for the magic to begin.
And was awoken, again, at 5:30 by a crying child.
I have to wonder if ANYTHING can help my 39 year-old, perpetually sleep-deprived skin from looking like it's been 6 feet under for a couple of months. I drink more water nowadays (which leads to more quality time in the bathroom), and that seems to help a bit. And my skin DOES look a bit less sallow this morning. But what I really need is 8 (or more) uninterrupted, glorious hours of sleep. Every night.
Which ain't gonna happen for a while.
So, in the meantime, I'll be relying on internal and external hydration and, gulp, makeup. Maybe just some mineral powder. Y'know, to hide the shadows (and the zits, courtesy, once more, of my monthly friend).

2 comments:

Charlotte said...

Yes, I'm to the age where I have to deal with dry skin, zits AND the beginning of wrinkles. Makes for a skincare nightmare. I also have the same problem with not getting enough zzzzzs. Which is why I'm surfing the web at 11 at night. Go to bed, Charlotte!!!

azusmom said...

Yeah, the whole wrinkles + acne thing is a huge bummer!
I tend to fall asleep pretty easily, then wake up at some ungodly hour. Urgh!