Friday, April 25, 2008

It's Like Hitchcock, Only Cuter

The birds are my friends.

We have a bunch of ducks, geese, and other water (and air) fowl outside the house. I've been known to sometimes (cough every day cough) feed them. The other day I took the dog over to a big grassy patch and took her leash off. Two ducks came waddling out towards me, as we'd disturbed their nap (I didn't see them before I let the dog off leash). I apologized to them, and offered to bring them some bread. The thing was, they both looked right at me and cocked their heads. I thought, "Huh. That's weird." and proceeded to clean up after the dog. But before we left, I had to see if it was a fluke. So I went over to the ducks again and offered them some bread. And they looked right at me and cocked their heads. Again.

So, what could I do? I brought the pup back to the house, got some bread, and went back out to feed the ducks.

The cute thing is, there's one goose who will now take the food right out of my hand. And he's pretty dainty, too. (The last thing I want is to get bitten by a goose, believe you me!). And, sometimes, when I walk out to the mailbox, the birds will follow me, to see if I have any goodies for them.

Oh, what have I wrought?

But they're so cute!

I'm thinking of buying some birdseed, which is probably better for them.

And, on an entirely different subject, I will begin teaching my very own Pilates Reformer class next Friday!!!!! And I have a line on 3 other classes!
(The other day I taught a gentle/senior mat class. Those guys wore me out!!!!!)

OK, enough babble. Have a great weekend!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Um, how pathetically hypochondriacal of me that the first thing I thought of when rading about the ducks eating out of your hand was "Watch out for Bird Flu!"? I'm a freak. Sounds fun...and good luck with that first class!!

azusmom said...

LMFAO!!!!

I didn't even think of that! What kind of Jew am I?

Thanks, Leslie!

Charlotte said...

As I read about you not wanting to get bit by a goose, I thought "Huh, I didn't know geese could bite." And then it occurred to me there is a reason they call it getting "goosed." Yeah, I'm a rocket scientist.

Good luck with your class! You'll do fantastic:)

elizabeth said...

oh! how nice. I think that if they're good geese, keep them around and feed them lots! It sounds lovely.

azusmom said...

Charlotte, when you're head is full of fun facts and figures, like yours, you can't be expected to remember everything!

Elizabeth, the geese were back last night, right in front of the house. But they wouldn't eat out of my hand. I wonder if they're worried about people germs...

Anonymous said...

I actually love your response to my comment :-)

azusmom said...

OK, cool! Sometimes I go a bit (or, yo know, WAAAAAAAYYY) over the line,lol!